pipes vibrating and making a noise but boiler is off

Sponsored Links
what is a float valve body :?:

It should look like this....

FloatValveBody.gif

Sponsored Links
Everything points to the float valve resonating!!!!

I'd go as far as putting money on it!!!!!

....The lid of the tank was recently changed because it was cracked and was leaning on the ball. Any possible links between the two...

just what the man needs, a load of hairy ars* rgi's scratching their chins.
drinking his tea, if theres choccy bickies I'm coming too.

....The lid of the tank was recently changed because it was cracked and was leaning on the ball. Any possible links between the two...

Always that possibility, but it is now a case of having a look see in your loft because now we have a lot of ideas as to what it could be and no means to eliminate any of them

resonating BV sounds good to me, can be a rascal, from a gentle hum to something like a fog horn. Do suspect a separate fault on boiler, by-pass type of thing!

Since LOLLA is in the legal trade, I hope that she isn't going to send us a bill for answering all these questions that we have asked :eek:

It could well be..

You mentioned before that this only happened after the lid was replaced and that the overflow was running before.
If the valve was never being allowed to close then the noise would not have occurred.

OK a few stock questions

1/ When did you last hear the noise?
2/ How often does it happen?
3/ Are there any re occurring times that this happens?
4/ Is there anything that you do before you notice the noise? eg put on washing machine/ dishwasher/ shower bath etc?
5/ Do you have decent tea and bacon?

Since LOLLA is in the legal trade, I hope that she isn't going to send us a bill for answering all these questions that we have asked icon_eek.gif

i bet i can make my bill bigger than hers though!!!! lol jk LOLLA honestly were not all cowboys!!

btw i hope that this instils a bit more confidence in you for our trade?

but a new plumber found that it was because the F & E tank lid was faulty and was leaning on the ball valve causing it to overflow

The F&E tank is separate from the cold storage cistern.
A separate system altogether.

Always that possibility, but it is now a case of having a look see in your loft because now we have a lot of ideas as to what it could be and no means to eliminate any of them

Let me try. First we had a leaking overflow. i was advised on this site to go up the loft and check. We did and found that the lid of the F & E tank was cracked and leaned on the ball causing it to overflow. Changed the lid and the leaking overflow stopped but two new problems came up. The vibrating noise in the pipes and the boiler switching itself to reset . I think it may be linked because all of these happened one after the other....

OK .. before the boiler locks out and you need to reset it.. do you hear any banging noises?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back