pipes vibrating and making a noise but boiler is off

sounds like some pipes have moved off their clips and the noise is being caused by the pump over run

is there anywhere where the noise is louder? or is it all over the house

noise is in one place not all over the house . its in the three pipes going from the cold water tank in the airing cupboard up to the loft where the F & E expansion tank is.

Sponsored Links
another question.
After the ten mins and the noise has stopped do you have to re-set/re-start anything to get the boiler/heating running again?

.. the boiler has not been working for about 3 days now because it keeps switching itself to reset so we turned the whole thing off at the mains which is why we are puzzled as to how system that is not working can be making noise.. :oops:

Get up in the roof and have a look. It may be just a float valve vibrating. You're making a meal out of a simple problem :D

Sponsored Links
:( :( :( Please does anyone know why the pipes would be making noise and vibrating heavily even though the boiler is switched off at the mains. The boiler is not working and we have no heating yet the pipes are vibrating.

1/Let me get this straight... the boiler itself is not switched on at all?

2/If not then is there a pump in your airing cupboard? Is it running with the mains to boiler switched off?

3/If no to these then run hot water from your bath taps for about 2 or 3 minutes. Turn off and wait. Does the noise appear then?

heatingman wrote:
Does the system have thermostatic rad valves. I think you said you have a 3port/mid-position valve?

yes it does

I know where your heading heatingman but the boiler and pump should be off so there shouldn't be any flow?

I thought you stated the noise stopped after ten minutes!, your now saying that its still making noise afetr 3 days!

I thought you stated the noise stopped after ten minutes!, your now saying that its still making noise afetr 3 days!

The boiler hasn't worked for three days and the noise isjust a one off . We are just wondering why the pipes are vibrating if the boiler has been switched off for soo long :cry:

sounds like some pipes have moved off their clips and the noise is being caused by the pump over run

noise is in one place not all over the house . its in the three pipes going from the cold water tank in the airing cupboard up to the loft where the F & E expansion tank is.

Don't you mean hot water tank (cylinder) ?.

I think you have another tank (cold storage cistern) in your loft.
I had this problem recently with a vibrating noise like someone drilling though I don't think mine was as prolonged as yours.
Always ensure that the float valve body is mounted rigid with respect to the water surface. If the tank wall, supply pipe, or mounting bracket is able to flex or move, it may cause the valve to vibrate, oscillate, or "sing" very loudly. As the valve starts to close, the pressure increases causing the valve body to flex away from the water surface. When the valve body moves away, the valve opens more. As the valve opens more, the pressure decreases causing the valve body to flex back to it's original position. And when the valve body returns to it's original position, it starts to close again, repeating the cycle of oscillation. A rigid mounting system prevents the potential for this kind of vibration or oscillation to occur.

Don't you mean hot water tank (cylinder) ?.

I think you have another tank (cold storage cistern) in your loft.
I had this problem recently with a vibrating noise like someone drilling though I don't think mine was as prolonged as yours.
Always ensure that the float valve body is mounted rigid with respect to the water surface. If the tank wall, supply pipe, or mounting bracket is able to flex or move, it may cause the valve to vibrate, oscillate, or "sing" very loudly. As the valve starts to close, the pressure increases causing the valve body to flex away from the water surface. When the valve body moves away, the valve opens more. As the valve opens more, the pressure decreases causing the valve body to flex back to it's original position. And when the valve body returns to it's original position, it starts to close again, repeating the cycle of oscillation. A rigid mounting system prevents the potential for this kind of vibration or oscillation to occur.

Thats why i got her to run the hot taps to see if it was the cold water storage float valve??

This is gonna bug the hell outta me now!!!!! lol

hhmmmmmmm

*stands stroking chin*

LOL Me too... It is one of those problems that I just couldn't let go of till I knew the answer...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back