PipeWork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently undertaking some work installing a new radiator and refitting pipe work after some building works.

i have a microbore system, a mixture of 8mm and 10 mm all fed from 22mm pipes. Now there doesnt seem to be any logic in the way the pipes were connected. Upstairs is all fine, but downstairs is a complete mess. I have 10mm pipes running to a radiator less than 2 metres from the 22mm pipes, and 8 mm running to the rad in the hall which is about 7 meters away. Now this rad never really gets all that hot, even after bleeding and balancing, which i have established is most likely down to the long run of 8mm pipe, and it not being very efficient in lengths greater than 5m.

I am planning to extend the 22mm pipework to reduce the length of the 8mm run, and was just wondering if (as i have plenty in the shed) if i could use 15mm. I cant see any reason why not, but rather then go and buy a shed load of 22mm pipe when i dont need to i thought i would ask the experts on here first.

any reason that i shouldnt use 15mm?

downstairs would then be fed as follows:

1 rad, 10mm pipework off 22mm (as is at present)
2 rads, 8mm pipework off 15mm (both are off 22mm at the moment)
1 rad, 10mm pipework off 15mm (new rad 5 meters away from where 15mm would end)

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
By all means use 15mm. Bear in mind that the size of pipe required to feed a rad depends on the size (output) of the rad as well as the length of the run. If the hall rad is very small then 14 metres of 8mm might be OK. Poor flow to it is most likely a result of a lack of balancing of the system in general. Read up on balancing in the FAQ - Plumbing Tips topic and try that first.

My preference would be to leave the 22 mm as it is and take out all the microbore and repipe with 15 mm.

Better and quicker circulation. :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

The rad in the hall is quite large, from memory about 1700mm X 600mm which is why i think that its the length of the pipe work, as i have already balanced the system.

Would love to repipe and replace all the microbore with 15mm as it is a far better way (to my non professional mind) then 8mm and 10mm. however, that aint an option so gotta go with the microbore and do the best i can. Glad i can use the 15mm though, as that makes the job much cheaper. :D

Sponsored Links
Microbore's fine if it's sized correctly. The hall rad isn't, so do replace as much of the 8mm with 15mm as is convenient (but no need to replace all of it).

Thanks, i reckon i can get teh feed in the hall down to 4 meters on 8mm and the return will be just under 6, which should see an improvement once i have rebalanced the system again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back