PIR failed - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
NO RCD Protection (An old fuse board)
There is a cracked socket in the hallway
There is no main earth bonding to the water supply.

Please can someone help and let me know what needs to be done if anything and how much. roughly, it should cost.

I am in London.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
No RCD protection is not a failure unless the earthing system uses a rod.
Although all newly wired sockets should be 30mA RCD protected, in older editions of the regulations they were only required for sockets that could be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.
A broken socket is a failure if it could be expected to fail anytime soon and pose a danger.(eg exposed live parts)

No main protective bond to the water main is a fail.

These all really come under the 'needs improvement' umbrella.

As for cost - it's anyones guess depending on length of cable runs, accessibility etc etc etc etc......

cheers for the reply.

i appreciate that an estimate cant be given but I have been quoted £400 for remedial work. what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Find out exactly what you'll be getting for the £400.
If it is for a new consumer unit, main bonding, replacing the socket then inspection, testing, certification and notification to the local area building control then it doesn't sound expensive to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back