PIR GRADING QUESTION

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you grade this on a PIR. 10mm CSA shower cable running from the CU out through the door frame up the outside of the house then back into the loft space. The cable is standard grey cable and where it runs up the side of the house on the outside wall its just clipped with no additional protection against UV . :?:

Sponsored Links
But do you also subscribe to the group that says a code 2 means unsatisfactory therefore a failed PIR ?

But do you also subscribe to the group that says a code 2 means unsatisfactory therefore a failed PIR ?

I always use this as a guidance

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/periodic_inspection/BPG4_08.pdf

As a PIR is contract solely between the electrician and the person requesting the PIR there isn't any legal requirements for that person pay any attention to the results. Consequently the issue of pass and fail is not really called into action.

However, the PIR does give very specific advice in terms of what each code means and as such the person requesting the PIR would be foolish to ignore such advice.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Sponsored Links
I would say that a flat T&E installed outside was unsatisfactory.
There would be some occasions that I would say some code 2s does not mean the installation is unsatisfactory but those are usually easy sort outs.
ie no rcd test notice provided.

I would say that a flat T&E installed outside was unsatisfactory.
There would be some occasions that I would say some code 2s does not mean the installation is unsatisfactory but those are usually easy sort outs.
ie no rcd test notice provided.

I would rate the absence of an rcd test notice as Code 4 - as per manual above.

I have just noticed that on the link given by riveralt that the RCD test notice is a code 4, but RCD test notices were part of the 16th editions :?:

riveralt.
I have a list of my own, not going to say it's as the link because it is not, a lot simular though.
514-12-02 where an installation incorporates a RCD a notice shall be fixed in a prominent position etc...
16th eds so can,t be code 4

You are going to have to get your heads around the new EICR that replaces the PIR in the 17th edition amendments.

In the EICR there is no code 4. Mostly it looks like code 3 has idappeared so you do not get a chance to not investigate something because its too difficult. ;)

The new grades of deviation are:

C1 - Danger present. Risk of injury. Immediate remedial action required

C2 - Potentially dangerous - urgent remedial action required

C3 – Improvement recommended

I would suggest that this issue would earn a C2.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
You are going to have to get your heads around the new EICR that replaces the PIR in the 17th edition amendments.

In the EICR there is no code 4. Mostly it looks like code 3 has idappeared so you do not get a chance to not investigate something because its too difficult. ;)

Thanks all. Its an interesting one because this has been installed by a qualified and registered electrician or at least by one of his workers in the last two months. Usually their standard of work is good but this was obviously noticeable and also the new CU that they did at the same time i noticed had a test stamp on it saying it had been tested in May 2011 and is recomended to be retested in May 2012.

I havent asked the owner if she has a EIC and as I dont know how the owner is going to take being told the job needs urgent remedial work, i thought i would get others opinions as to whether i need to raise it with her or not. It looks as though i do. :unsure:

Taylortwocities
I know the green book is out early July, but when are the new regulations to come into force?
Is it January?

AFAIK

The new green version of BS7671 is due for publication later in June. Copies can be pre-ordered from the IET from April 2011 including a digital version in the form of an ebook.
The new regulations are likely to come into force on 1 January 2012.

The new green version of BS7671 is due for publication later in June.
Does a corresponding revised edition of the OSG also appear when revisions of BS7671 are published?

Kind Regards, John.
I would assume so, anything to squeeze a bit more money out of us.
But not heard of any updated publications yet!

Does a corresponding revised edition of the OSG also appear when revisions of BS7671 are published?

Kind Regards, John.

A little bit more news on this
The amended version of the OSG is due out in Sept/Oct and from July 2011 to 31-12-11, you have the choice to either work to the 17th edition regulations as they are today or work to the amendment regulations.
However, you can’t mix and match between the 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back