PIR in Tool Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I installed a Texecom Premier Elite system in my property and it has been working perfectly for a year now. Recently we were on holiday for 6 days and the alarm went off - for no apparent reason. This was on the hottest day of the year incidentally!

Upon speaking to Texecom, they suggested that often when people are away, spiders can form webs and crawl near the PIR and set them off. Here's the PIR I am using and apparently, a different PIR cannot avoid this situation:
upload_2018-7-16_8-8-39.png

Plausible?

Now to my question - When laying cables for the alarm, I left a cable in my tool shed which is just outside the house. I am worried that the above situation will be rampant in the external toolshed and hence, resulting in false alarms. I would appreciate your views on this as I thought I had a very neat solution in place :(

Sponsored Links
Fit a dual technology sensor
Texecom prem elite DT,Texecom mirage DT ,opted mx40 DT

Will DT make a difference in the spider situation? Texecom support were convinced that it wouldn’t I.e the spider would still trigger the alarm.

For whats is worth.

Use a mechanical sensor (*) that is held closed by a "valuable" item that a thief would be sure to grab and remove. Or on the shed door. If it is a small light weight shed with a pad-locked door then consider the rare possibility of a thief lifting one side of the shed to get in.

(*) The mechanical sensor can be a magnetic reed switch or a micro switch.

Sponsored Links
Will DT make a difference in the spider situation? Texecom support were convinced that it wouldn’t I.e the spider would still trigger the alarm.

Fit an optex mx40dt ....much better than the texecom dt ....I actually had an rx40pt in my old metal shed full of cobwebs,this was set around 23hrs a day for 10 years ....had ONE ....false alarm

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the idea of the magnetic door catch device and would ideally want to mount this on the door but I'm concerned that my tool shed door isn't that substantial and hence wind movement may break the magnetic catch. Do you have any suggestions for this? I could attach it to one of my tools but I am clumsy enough to forget to attach the magnetic contact to this tool after each use!

I look forward to your suggestions

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my door shed and the use of the magnetic device? Thanks in advance.

They won’t be that unkind surely!
:)

Just need a simple solution for the doors being forced open

Is the DT bullet-proof enough to protect me from the creepy crawlers?

Fit a dual technology sensor and hire a cleaner to keep the shed tidy.
Vacum once a month should be fine and polish every other week.

Seriously? The DT sensor seems like a failure waiting to happen! Can I not fit the magnetic door device and make some provision for the slightly flimsy doors?

@Jupiter01 think you can see the general consensus is a DT, don't have detectors facing direct sunlight.

nothings is bullet proof, if installed properly you have a fair chance.

removing roofs from sheds has been popular in some areas, mainly as its often weak and less secure, I have out buildings with very few cobwebs and I don't employ a cleaner. ( I have seen ther aftermath of burglars who put a large hole in a flat roof in a building to help get to the post office next door, over a weekend).

wrt to shocks I would say no on flimsy shed, but contacts should be fine if the flimsy parts as you put it don't move more than the gaps tolerance.

I have known sunlight bounce off a foil tray and cause an alarm activation in a PIR.

As for spiders crawling across a detector and causing an alarm, never seen it proved, although I have known people having problems with PIRs and false alarms having PIRs full of spiders, always make sure they are sealed properly to stop them getting in side so easily.

Thanks @secureiam. I've just seen this video which suggests that there is ample flexibility in the sensors:

This should be ample for the imperfect tool shed doors I would have thought? Am I missing something? I just don't want any of the creepy-crawly risk with the PIR Sensors. Thanks for your guidance people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back