PIR in Tool Shed

Any room or area that is likely to suffer from extremes or sudden changes of temperature needs to be covered by a dual tech, so that would include lofts, garages, outbuildings, conservatories etc. Your average internal room in a house should be pretty stable, temperature wise so a good PIR won't have a problem so long as you follow the manufacturers instructions regarding siting them.

Texecom DT wouldn't be my first choice but should be fine.

Sponsored Links
whats your recommended DT? I suggested Texecom as someone else made that suggestion

I think its @secureiam that suggested the Texecom Premier Elite DT based on his experiences?
Also, @Europlex mentioned a trouble-free DT over a 20 year period but didn't say what he was using? Is this the Elite DT too?

Is there a consensus on which DT I should use in the garage and loft?

Sponsored Links
At work, we install Guardall DT15+ dual techs by the hundred and get very few problems that can be blamed on the detector itself. My own house has mixture of Optex MX40QZ dual techs and RX40QZ PIRs, never had an issue with any of them either.

Any advances on Guardall DT15+ as my choice of DT PIR with the Texecom system? I want to avoid having to switch them to a different DT at a later date because others think they are unreliable, etc.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Guys, I need some help please.
I've had a further false alarm today. Not a spider in sight!
I have a PIR which is sited opposite the window (i know its not best practice). Could this be why it went off? Should I change this to a DT too? Will that make it more resilient?
Also, I've not yet got around to implementing the resistor wiring, can this be a contributing factor to the 2 false alarms I've had recently?

I have the Pyronix PIR's in the house.

False alarms can be caused by various reasons.
This time of year moths,spiders,large flies,hot sun on vertical blinds .
You could change the device to a DT if you feel it is necessary .
Some customers spray citronela up behind the detectors to prevent insects going around the device.

Is the positioning of this pir (opposite the window) making it prone to failure? Would a DT resolve this?

Also, does the wiring method having any significance here?

Thanks for your help

Examples of the sighting of detectors, are usually given in the instruction sheet that comes with the detector, that will show examples of wrong positions to site the PiR, opposite the window will be one of them.

Best to go in one of the corners on the wall with the window looking towards the opposite internal corner, not at the window. This position is best for a PiR, it gives much better coverage of the room. Should be shown on the installation sheet.

There is always a way to run a cable, well 99+ per cent anyway.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Got my Optex DT's and read through the instructions twice over. There is no mention of adjusting the MWD but this has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread.
There is multiple guidance on where to situate the PIR and other than that it appears to be a simple replacement of the current Pyronix PIR with this. I was hoping for more details around wiring (relates to a separate forum thread) and the adjustment of this Microwave piece. I have also noted that it states "do not touch" the Microwave Sensor.

MX40 have two jumper links to adjust the sensitivity of the detector, pulse count 2/4 adjusts the PIR (4 is less sensitive) and the long/short jumper adjusts the range of the microwave. Pulse 2 and short range should be OK in most domestic rooms.

Regarding resistors, that's been covered loads on here, a quick search and you should get some photos/diagrams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back