PIR in Tool Shed

most PIR's do have sealed optics these days, wrt to holes made when fixing, see very few of them sealed properly especially this done diy, but have also seen work by so called alarm engineers doing the same.

Sponsored Links
but Texecom have told me categorically that a spider will trigger the DT PIR.

I can say ( being a keyholder for a protected building ) that the information from Texecom is correct. Spiders and other small creatures crawling across the face of a dual tech sensor can trigger the alarm if there is a heat source also in view of the sensor.

Further to the door to door beam. Using a reflective system it can be achieved for under £60 ( trade prices ) The RX and TX are both in the same package fitted on one door and a reflector is fitted on the other door to reflect the beam back to the RX

To be fair, the post was answered in the first reply, not sure why it has dragged on for this long. Been installing and maintaining systems with dualtechs fitted in garages, lofts, sheds, warehouses etc for years without problems.

Bernard, beams mounted to the doors are going to false alarm unless they are absolutely rock solid with no movement. Would be better to mount them to the frame but that still doesn't take access through the roof into consideration.

Sponsored Links
unless they are absolutely rock solid with no movement.

The beam angle from the TX creates an area in which the RX will still be able to "see" the beam from the TX. Like wise the RX does not have tunnel vision for it's view of the transmitter.

That said a laser TX with a very narrow beam is not suitable for this application

Yes, confused! But the majority view seems to be the DT. Instinctively, I feel the door contacts would have been a more robust solution but who am I...

Unless someone is going to make a staunch defence of the door contact, which DT do you guys recommend?

I use primarily Texecom as to which product is best....
I haven't had an issue yet (touch wood) with what I use, Elite DT (AMDT I wouldn't recommend in your shed, the antimask feature would probably cause you issues in that shed from what I can see.), however that doesn't mean I won't or its better than another device.

Remember to read the instructions and adjust the microwave component of the DT to optimise the detector.

if you are unfortunate and get a lot of false alarms, I would firstly check your installation of the device along with possible sources of activation. Then if your still 100% sure its a problem that isn't resolvable with what you have then look at alternative solutions and put the unit on double knock short term while you investigate. I will be surprised if it comes to that, but you can never say never.

Thanks for your help guys. I will order a Texecom DT PIR tomorrow. Interestingly, when I was fetching some tools from the shed earlier I saw a spider crawling inside.

I’m following the majority view with the DT in this instance.

I saw a, heaven forbid, a spider in the front room yesterday, I teased it a bit then left it alone.

Still there tonight, in same corner as a DT. No problems. DT been there abt.20yrs, not one false activation, cover as required and always works when tested.

Screenshot_20180723-221157.png
Screenshot_20180723-221157.png Screenshot_20180723-221157.png
Screenshot_20180723-221157.png
This should do the job.
Mine is above TV in the lounge,never had a false alarm ,sometimes the spiders are massive

Hi Guys,

I had a second false alarm this weekend and this time from my loft PIR. I’m going to **** off my contacts unless I sort this ASAP and would appreciate your help please.

I am currently using the Pyronix KX15DQ digital quad pir throughout the house and my loft and garage. I’m guessing the latter two need to be switched to a DT?

Any other suggestions please?

A shed is the sort of enviroment that a Dual Tec is made for.

When adjusting after install make sure the MWD (Microwave) side of the DT is adjusted DOWN as much as possible, read the manual and follow, no short cuts.

I used to fit them adjusting from minimum, up. SLOWLY, a little at a time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back