PIR lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am attaching a new external light with intergral PIR. I have connected as per instructions with L, N and E going into the connection points in the light. However, the light does not come on at all.

After much fiddling with the sensitivity, and putting it into "Photo" mode (dawn/dusk sensor) and then covering the light sensor to fool it into thinking it was dark, the light does still not come on. I have checked the bulb - no problem there.

I have also disconnected completely and then rewired it to a 3A plug, and plugged it in to a mains socket. again, nothing (even in the dark in photo mode).

On closer testing I find that the light flickers on for approx 0.25 sec when switching on at the mains socket, and if I switch slowly, find that it will do this when switching on and off (i.e. the light comes on when the switch is between on and off (if you press the mains rocker switch slowly).

Has anyone any thoughts....it seems to me that the PIR is not working (I have tried the above in test mode, security mode and photo mode all with the same results.

The light is a Focus DIY IP33. I have even taken the original back and exchanged it, but the 2nd unit gives the same results. (At the same time I also bought the same light, but without a PIR and connecting to the mains in the same way sees that come on when switched on at the socket - exactkly as you would expect!).

Any thoughts anyone...this is turning from a simple job into a marathon (much like this post!)

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sounds daft but my PIR had a circular piece of black rubber over the sensor which you have to remove , have you just wired the light straight into a ceiling rose or into a Junction box or fused down from a socket and added a FCU ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there a setting on it for the length of time the light stays lit? If that's turned right down to zero, the light might be switching on and off instantly?

Have you tried taking it off the dusk to dawn setting to see if it works? With mine, you can have it coming on every time the sensor picks something up or just dusk to dawn. Might be worth trying it in daylight mode too.

Sponsored Links
To eliminate as many variables as possible, I have tested by connecting to a mains plug (3A) and plugging it in....just like a table lamp.

Switching it on and off results in the same result every time...it comes on instantaneously (for less than 0.25 secs) whilst switching on and off...but does not come on at all when the switch at the mains is left in the "on" position.

I have tried all PIR settings - dusk to dawn (which is meant to override all other settings), test (which should allow the light to come on if the PIR is activated, even in daylight) and security (combination of level of daylight and PIR activation). I have changed the sensitivity setting on the PIR from min to max and back again as well.

I cannot see anything covering the photocell.

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions...I am still baffled but am starting to think that this may be a faulty batch...perhaps I will try a completely different light!

thanks again

Is there just the three terminals L, N and E... or is there a 'S/L' as in switched live?

How long do you cover the sensor for... as some have a period before switching?

Correct polarity?

Lamp fitted securely?

Foreign rubbish?

There is only E, N and L (no switched live) with green/yellow, blue and brown cables respectively on the unit.

The lamp is firmly fixed (and tested in another unit) and there are no foreign bodies!

I have just tried a 3rd unit and get the same problem. In the store the display model behaved as I would have expected...switching on when I covered the photocell in dusk-to-dawn mode, and coming on when moving across the detection zone in "test" mode.

Ho hum...I feel a return and then a visit to a different store to get a completely different unit coming on!

thanks everyone!

With just a L,N and E connection, hows it supposed to switch on and off? Does it have built in connections to send swL to the light and timer? Also the screw like "adjusters" on mine are very sensitive - only a few degrees between going off instantly and staying on for several minutes.
Three units all faulty? Seems unlikely...

I can only assume that there are internal switching connections (the PIR is part of the light assembly and is a sealed unit). What I know for sure is that the only cables coming out of the unit are E, N and L and the wiring instructions show only connection of E, N and L to these.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back