PIR security lights!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My first post and i'm appealing for your help!

I'm not even an amateur in electrical stuff-years ago I electrocuted myself whilst working on one that I hadn't turned off at the mains-that was fun! So pls bear with me...

My PIR security light recently failed-you could walk in front of it and hear the sensor/switch clicking so i'm sure that would require power, but no lamp came on. I re-wired (whilst standing on the wheelie bin) and changed a couple of lamps but still no good so bought a new one. As b4 it had a black, red and earth and it all wired up logically enough. It worked for 2 days and now same fault again-you can hear the sensor/switch click but no light! Ps, it terminates at a standard wall switch in the kitchen which i haven't touched.

Any advice pls?

Sponsored Links
Get an electrician in. Standing on wheely bins and having already electrocuted yourself doesnt make you sound too competant. You may be good at other things, but give electrics a wide berth!

Can anyone else help?
ie, ignore the wheelie bit part. The mains gets turned off whenever i'm doing this stuff-trip every switch in the house just in case!

Sounds like your new light now has a failed lamp... you did handle it carefully when you installed it, didn't you? (you should avoid putting your fingers on the glass of it-and if you do you should wipe it down with meths)

Sponsored Links
But to admit your stupidity of standing on a wheelie bin does imply you have little or no knowlege of what you are doing / or your own health and safety, so I have to agree with maxxy

Definitely, i never handle with bare hands-always a greaseproof type of cloth. The lamp worked for 2 days anyway.
I honestly reckon i've done everything correct-even fitted a waterproof junction box cos the previous cables were twisted together and taped up so didn't think that was too safe.
My only guess is that maybe only a small amount or the wrong type (??) of power is reaching the light, maybe not enuf to power the lamp itslef???
Cheers.

I am sorry to say but by your own comments you are showing you do not have the slighest idea of what you are doing

blue-tac said:
Definitely, i never handle with bare hands-always a greaseproof type of cloth. The lamp worked for 2 days anyway.
I honestly reckon i've done everything correct-even fitted a waterproof junction box cos the previous cables were twisted together and taped up so didn't think that was too safe.
My only guess is that maybe only a small amount or the wrong type (??) of power is reaching the light, maybe not enuf to power the lamp itslef???
Cheers.

Please be safe, call in a professional

Appreciate what your saying but right now, just need people to answer who can give advice on what i can do next. Based on what people say, i'll take it from there as to whether or not I do it so thanks but advice pls.

As of 2 days ago, no! Probably get one tomorrow-any recommendations?
You also reckon it must be the wiring?
Just seems weird that the old light worked for about a year b4 packing in and now this one has the same fault despite being wired up again from scratch.

What make is it?

Some cheaper makes of fittings can fail straight out of the box.

I would agree with the others, to be safe - it only takes a few milliamps to kill yourself - get an Electrician to look at it.

what sort of bulb you got in the fitting?

i'm thinking el cheapo PIRs dont like switching compact fluorescents.

I'm disgusted with some of the responces here :(

email address removed, please read the forum rules

For the price you'd pay for a reasonable multimeter you could pay a sparky 1/2 hr/ 1hr labour and save yourself a lot of headscratching and possible danger

Ricicle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back