PIR Sensor For Outdoor Infrared Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a rule, would a standard PIR sensor switch that would usually be for lights be able to handle the current for a pair of outdoor infrared heaters? Or are there particular PIRs for higher loads?

There are two lights, and will be between 1500 and 2000 watts or 6.25 or 8.5 amps. Not this particular model, but similar -

https://www.infraredheaters.com/cosyxl.html

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Heating the outside is a major contributor to global warming, and is likely to be one of the next items to be added to Planning Permission restrictions.

Hi, you can buy pir's up to 2000w switching capacity or you could use a contactor.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I'm helping a relative who's taken on a pub. More or less got on top of his plumbing and heating woes, but the regulars aren't happy with the non working smoking deck heaters (maybe a couple of large double rads would be easier :whistle:). Just after a bit of advice because I know little about PIRS.

Deadshort - by what you say, I would need two high load PIRS - one for each of the heaters which will be approx. 1500 watts each? Can you recommend any PIRS?

EDIT - presumably one of these could handle both heaters?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMMTLW3000.html

Last edited:
Heating the outside is a major contributor to global warming, and is likely to be one of the next items to be added to Planning Permission restrictions.
It is a bit crazy (although not conceptually different from the huddling around 'camp fires' I did in my youth!) - but a lot of 'patio heaters' etc. are portable, and hence, I would have thought, not really catchable by Planning regulations.

Kind Regards, John

the regulars aren't happy with the non working smoking deck heaters

What's gone wrong with this country?

When I was a smoker, there were often situations where I had to go outside to have a fag. I don't remember me or my fellow smokers complaining about the lack of handy wall-mounted heating to keep us warm while we indulged our lungs.

When I was a smoker, there were often situations where I had to go outside to have a fag. I don't remember me or my fellow smokers complaining about the lack of handy wall-mounted heating to keep us warm while we indulged our lungs.
Ah, but smokers were healthier in those days!

The new generation of smokers like to grumble out being forced by their addiction to go outside, away from decent people.

The tough old smokers are all dead now.

Thanks for your replies. I'm helping a relative who's taken on a pub. More or less got on top of his plumbing and heating woes, but the regulars aren't happy with the non working smoking deck heaters (maybe a couple of large double rads would be easier :whistle:). Just after a bit of advice because I know little about PIRS.

Deadshort - by what you say, I would need two high load PIRS - one for each of the heaters which will be approx. 1500 watts each? Can you recommend any PIRS?

Hi, yes one on these will do the job. The alternative is timlag switches.

Regards,

DS

:D Agree. Smokers ain't what they used to be. The pub in question is frequented by shandy drinkers, who provbably don't inhale their Silk Cuts anyway. However, pubs must bow to their customers these days, and indulge their whims.

Hi, yes one on these will do the job. The alternative is timlag switches.

Regards,

DS

Thanks. I did suggest timer push buttons, but I think he just wants to replicate what's already there, but is broken.

Talking about things working, as the current setup (two infrared heaters and a PIR) has never been seen working by us - how critical is the location of the PIR in relation to the heaters? At present, they are all on one wall, from left to right it goes HEATER>HEATER>PIR - all spaced approx. 2 or 3 feet apart. We never knew how well this setup worked. I'm thinking that because PIRs operate on sensing heat, and heaters emit heat - will they conflict with each other? It's only a small deck area.

I'm thinking that because PIRs operate on sensing heat, and heaters emit heat - will they conflict with each other?
Yes, they will. PIR instructions usually state to mount the device so that heat sources are not in the detection area.

A microwave motion sensor would be a more reliable option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back