Placing immersion heater on standalone circuit

Ignore, I've created a separate thread for this query.

Attachments

• Home Designs V2.jpg
    Home Designs V2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just wanted to confirm that 2.5mm T&E was fit for the CU to Immersion heater run? My spark was advising that it wouldnt be a bad idea to oversize with 4mm T&E?

Just wanted to confirm that 2.5mm T&E was fit for the CU to Immersion heater run? My spark was advising that it wouldnt be a bad idea to oversize with 4mm T&E?
He’s mad. Even 2.5mm is oversized even though it is normally used. 1.5mm is adequate for a 3kW immersion on a 16 amp circuit.

Sponsored Links
Of course, it might relate to the length of the run. But probably not. How long is it?

I'm about to start laying the cables for the new immersion heater circuit and new loft circuit and just wanted to check that it won't be an issue in the future to have a mixture of ring and radial circuits at CU? All my other circuits are ring main as far as I am aware.

Also with radial circuits I only need to feed one cable down to the CU for each circuit. If I'm not mistaken, ring would have two cables going in? Again before I get told off, this is just pre-emptive wiring so I can secure my floorboards. Nothing will be connected.

BTW - my preference is for a plug and socket for the boiler (or entire heating system). I'm sure you'll find plenty of plumbers, and a few sparkies, who will (incorrectly) tell you that a plug and socket isn't allowed and you have to use an FCU :rolleyes:

Firstly, it's hard to get as definite isolation via any other method - if the plug is a foot away from the socket then that's definitely disconnected.
Secondly, if the circuit becomes faulty for whatever reason, it gives you the option of running an extension lead from a circuit that is working.
Lastly, when we start having power cuts when we've shut down the remaining nuclear and coal fired power stations, I can plug it into the UPS or generator.

BTW - my preference is for a plug and socket for the boiler (or entire heating system). I'm sure you'll find plenty of plumbers, and a few sparkies, who will (incorrectly) tell you that a plug and socket isn't allowed and you have to use an FCU :rolleyes:

Firstly, it's hard to get as definite isolation via any other method - if the plug is a foot away from the socket then that's definitely disconnected.
Secondly, if the circuit becomes faulty for whatever reason, it gives you the option of running an extension lead from a circuit that is working.
Lastly, when we start having power cuts when we've shut down the remaining nuclear and coal fired power stations, I can plug it into the UPS or generator.

Thank you for the input. In my case, it's just the immersion heater within my unvented cylinder that I'm concerned about placing on a separate circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back