Planned extension lead for power tools - what do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

so, basically I need a power lead extension that shall power my small work area.

I am not 100% sure on the length of wire needed yet, but plan to have it wheeled outside of the property to cut large sheet goods down.

so, here is everything I think I need, if you think I need more or something different please let me know.

I need a 3 core wire about 15meters… no idea on thickness recommendations
A weather resistant plug system that has emergency off pedal and enough plugs for at least 3 items such as mitre saw, table saw and battery charging, with option to unplug and use other power tools, such as an arc welder, router grinder and more.
a wind up cable as no permanent power will be installed.
some light system to show power is on

i am confident on everything I need, but want to be sure that I am 100% correct here.

1mm 3 core round flex 15+meters
Off-On Red Cover Emergency Stop Push Button Switch 16A Power-OFF
outdoor plug socket - 3 plug if they do them
240v Mains Amber Neon Indicator

unless you can get a windup reel, empty case I will probably use the weather resistant boxes and wind up the cable by hand.

is there anything else I have forgotten, need up change before I order everything?

I will get my mum to wire everything up, she was a school site manager, caretaker site Forman and has been to college to get the license to do electrical work as many other jobs needed to run a school, oversee 2 brand new buildings plus a whole new school. So all safe there.

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician but I doubt that 1mm will suffice, many tools have an initial surge when you turn them on.

I believe that 1mm is rated at about 10A.

Edit- check to see if your consumer unit is on an RCD, if it isn't I would recommend that you fit a pass through RCD.

Apropos the type of cable, again I am not an electrician, but if you are making your own lead I would recommend PUR, it will will be more durable and tolerate the occasions where you stand on it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
use 2.5mm flex minimum. is any RCD protection fitted anywhere?
Out of curiosity, why 2.5mm?
That will be difficult to wire into a standard plug.
The 20m 4 way Masterplug extensions I have dealt with only have 1.25mm.
1.5mm would be a decent size?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I hate the screw fixing team by me… if you can guess who I am talking about…

they told me 0.75mm was sufficient… I always go bigger than what they say, or come here… I think they also said 2 core…

they also told me that I need a pro to change a blade of a circular saw and we had to send it off to their team…

my mum is retired due to a disability, and my full time carer, the less I put on her the better…

when overseeing a school build, an experience electrician didn’t do a safe or good job, with the breakers off, she went to take off a switch, can’t remember what type, but everything was still live and bang… the plastic parts were only touched but it created an arc through her arm, she seemed okay, but a couple years later the true damage showed up via scans. So she has been retired since the age of 42.

so, I don’t want to keep putting everything on her to fix due to myself having a “brilliant idea“ that I always seem to fall back onto her time and time again.
being disabled myself, my projects take months to do, for something that would take you less than an hour.

I put some LED ‘Christmas lights around my room last year, to help me sleep, and just 1 set of 400 lights took me 3 weeks. The other issue I have, I am autistic, my talking and trying to explain what I want/need is extremely hard and with my medication of strong morphine daily this gets even harder, so I come here, type away… see what you guys say, then take all of this to… my brilliant mum who helps or does what is needed.

the cable plug will go into a socket that is powered by the electrical board, the only thing it has on it is external lights, but will be enough to power tools according to the electrical guy who tested our house last year, who swapped the slandered switch to a plug and switch so I can plug into the socket and power outside lighting separately.

Why doesn't your Mum know what to do?

I get the point you are making, but if you look at the OP's previous posts, the fellow, by his own admission is on a spectrum and functions differently. With respect, I think we need to help him when he asks questions (largely because the alternative may result in death).

Admittedly, I am reading in between the lines and that he assumes that his mum is capable of assembling the cables/fittings but she may not know the requirements.

I respect your responses, AND your advice, on this occasion, I (respectfully) think you need to cut the guy some slack. Unlike you, I have responded to his posts in other parts of the forum.

Sorry, I am not being critical of you, even though it may seem like I am.

Out of curiosity, why 2.5mm?
That will be difficult to wire into a standard plug.
The 20m 4 way Masterplug extensions I have dealt with only have 1.25mm.
1.5mm would be a decent size?
Just saw Arc Welder and thought maybe overload tbh. maybe I'm being cautious. Flex should fit into a plug easily enough the hole's are 3mm

Use 1.5mm, if connecting into a 13 amp plug top.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Maybe even an external 16A socket and plug would be better (just thinking longevity)? Guess it depends on the equipment rating(s). Though only one appliance will be used at any one time

Last edited:
I hate the screw fixing team by me… if you can guess who I am talking about…

they told me 0.75mm was sufficient… I always go bigger than what they say, or come here… I think they also said 2 core…

they also told me that I need a pro to change a blade of a circular saw and we had to send it off to their team…

my mum is retired due to a disability, and my full time carer, the less I put on her the better…

when overseeing a school build, an experience electrician didn’t do a safe or good job, with the breakers off, she went to take off a switch, can’t remember what type, but everything was still live and bang… the plastic parts were only touched but it created an arc through her arm, she seemed okay, but a couple years later the true damage showed up via scans. So she has been retired since the age of 42.

so, I don’t want to keep putting everything on her to fix due to myself having a “brilliant idea“ that I always seem to fall back onto her time and time again.
being disabled myself, my projects take months to do, for something that would take you less than an hour.

I put some LED ‘Christmas lights around my room last year, to help me sleep, and just 1 set of 400 lights took me 3 weeks. The other issue I have, I am autistic, my talking and trying to explain what I want/need is extremely hard and with my medication of strong morphine daily this gets even harder, so I come here, type away… see what you guys say, then take all of this to… my brilliant mum who helps or does what is needed.

the cable plug will go into a socket that is powered by the electrical board, the only thing it has on it is external lights, but will be enough to power tools according to the electrical guy who tested our house last year, who swapped the slandered switch to a plug and switch so I can plug into the socket and power outside lighting separately.

With respect, and I genuinely mean respect, you occasionally fail to mention the back story/details. I am not intentionally being combative.

Many of us are tradesmen that give up our free time to (hopefully) help others.

From time to time you give us info, which to you may seem relevant, but to us is (seemingly) irrelevant.

I need a 3 core wire about 15meters… no idea on thickness
You are describing an extension lead.
Far easier, quicker, cheaper and safer to just buy one for £20.

emergency off pedal
Not required and will make things much worse if it exists.

Most decent power tools such as mitre saws have electric braking built in. Just disconnecting the power to one when in use may not engage the braking system, and will leave the tool rotating for an extended period.
If you have any lighting connected to it, you now have dangerous rotating tools in the dark.

Hello

i am really sorry… I do struggle with all forms of communication.

I have asked my mum who said just get a extension lead already made, 13amp should be good but could get a 16amp, she also said that it is a while until I am going to need power, so forget all of that for now, concentrate on building the area, then build the workbench and we can workout all of that when we get that far.

we are due sometime to have the electrical board moved as it’s right on top of the gas board, and they would sort out all power issues then.

Maybe even get an external socket run in SWA? Have you got a drawing of your Building area?

If you're planning to use a welder you definitely want 2.5mm flex.
Since this work area is outside you MUST have RCD protection on the setup (ideally at the consumer unit).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back