Planning a kitchen. Question about 2 ovens

16 Jan 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Im trying to plan a kitchen layout ect.
Ive a question (which im pretty sure i know the answer to) regarding ovens.

Currently... Its pretty standard. 6mm cable straight from the fuseboard, (32amp??) Goes to a cooker connection unit. From there it goes to a freestanding cooker AND hob.

The plan in the kitchen consists (at the moment) of getting rid of that range cooker. And having integrated, SINGLE OVEN. and a COMBI OVEN (a microwave and single oven)

So.. 2 ovens.

Il leave a screenshot of the 2 ovens specs that i managed to find on the internet.

Would it be pretty much the same, except instead of ONE cable going to the connection (from the oven) there will be 2. (2 ovens) then from that it is the 6mm cable going off to the fuseboard.

Fuseboard is rcbos just not entirely sure at the moment what the cooker circuit is rated at.


  • Screenshot_20221228-213138.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20221228-212149.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20221228-211958.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20221227-120000~3.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
Perfectly OK due to diversity. By the way you don’t have a fuseboard as you have no fuses and fuseboards have not been fitted this century. You have a consumer unit.
An enclosure can have in most cases a variety of devices, often clipped onto DIN rail, these do include fuse holders, and one make of the devices is called fusebox.

If the overload device is too small, it will trip, so no harm done, however if frequently tripped they tend to trip sooner and sooner.

My cooker on a B32 type AC RCBO which has never tripped, although max amps is around 65 amp, but one could never switch on all together.
Sponsored Links
I know the English language is designed to evolve, but some of the words used today seem rather silly, instead of telemetry people say it's smart, there is often nothing smart about it, traditionally a lamp is the whole device, it would likely fit on a spigot, and have inside a wick, mantle, or bulb depending if oil, gas, or electric, and bulb refers to bulbous shape, so the compact fluorescent is a folded tube, but it replaces a bulb, so we still call it a bulb, the MR16 be it GU10 base or G5.3 is still called a bulb, even when it is not bulbous in shape.

So once a name has been used, even when it no longer describes the item, we retain the old name, transformer was used to describe a wire wound device, electronic transformer to describe the device which replaced it, and can't say it is wrong, as it does transform from low voltage to extra low voltage.

We should use the name distribution unit, which would include type tested and non type tested, fuses, and circuit breakers, even RCD's AFDD's and bell transformers, and it does not matter if you have fitted some item not included in the type testing, it is still a distribution unit, even if no longer a consumer unit.

But language is used to communicate, and although a carpet cleaner never creates a vacuum, so should be called an air velocity cleaner, if you walked into a shop and asked to see there range of air velocity cleaners, you will likely get a blank look as they have no idea what you are talking about.

The statement
You have a consumer unit.
May or may not be correct, they may only have a distribution unit, all it needs is for one MCB not to be approved for use in that unit, and it is no longer a consumer unit. Also any distribution unit over 125 amp or three phase is not a consumer unit.

When we moved from re-wireable fuses to cartridge fuses we also moved from 30 amp to 32 amp, this 1672394492261.pngfuse holder will fit in a modern consumer unit, although it cost more than a MCB so only reason to fit one would be to house semi-conductor fuses, as a MCB is too slow to protect semi-conductors.

In the main only used in control panels, however nothing to stop being fitted to a consumer unit.

I understand why we should correct incorrect use of low voltage and extra low voltage, 230 volt on a 12 volt item will cause damage and danger, but be it fuse box, consumer unit, distribution unit, or control panel, we know what is being talked about, and there is no reason to correct anyone for using wrong name, especially when you don't even know for sure if it is the wrong name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links