Planning application ridge height (part 1)

There is no tolerance in planning

...but there are tolerances in construction to various published standards - BS-EN-ISO, NSCS, NHBC etc, so anything built according to the plans must also accept the tolerances, which is why there has to be a de minimis acceptance in planning from target dims. What that is, is subjective.

Sponsored Links
...but there are tolerances in construction to various published standards - BS-EN-ISO, NSCS, NHBC etc, so anything built according to the plans must also accept the tolerances, which is why there has to be a de minimis acceptance in planning from target dims. What that is, is subjective.
There are many different definitions and criteria for the same thing in different legislation. You conform the requirements of the particular Act you are meant to be conforming to.

And for clarity, its perfectly possible to build a ridge or anything to the millimetre of any stipulated dimension. The tolerances you refer to are related to standards (ie guides) and that's completely different to a stipulated defined dimension

And, as before, particularly on sloping ground, measured from what datum?
Typically from the highest point around the property. As my extension has protruded into the hill, I now find my front door/DPC/FFL to be a bit below ground! If I were to measure GL from that point (and I think I should) I should add +150mm to my ridge height, easy. But the council may have other ideas. They mentioned something like using the existing property levels as a reference point, which I will argue is the DPC which is the same all around, whereas the ground levels are all over the place.

You would use whatever you marked on your plan as the reference, as that is what the council have agreed

Sponsored Links
There is no tolerance in planning, whatever you write on any plans. The plans must be accurate and the work built in accordance with the approved plans.
No tolerance? How would some bod from planning measure the height to a ridge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back