Planning permission to raise the ridge height on a semi-detached?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to increase the ridge height of my semi detached house, but not sure the best way to go about it. The reason behind it is to obviously increase the ceiling height, as I want to then put a dormer on, but would much rather some decent head height than what i will end up with (around 2m). Not sure how to go about planning here:

1. Would it be best to apply for planning for just the ridge height extension, then do the dormer application?
2. Providing I do the above, would PD rights still be in play?
3. What would increase my chances of getting this application approved?
4. I also own the adjoining house (albeit not in my name). Is it possible to do an application for both at the same time, and would this be more likely to get approval?

I've attached elevations for existing and proposed here. I'll be looking to add around 450mm to the height. The house is on a slight hill, with the 2 neighbours to the left being around 400mm lower, and the neighbours on the right around 500mm lower. There is also around 5m of space between the houses on each side. I don't think the plans look bad, but if there's also a better way to do it i'm all ears. Any info would be great!

Attachments

• Existing_Elevations_1_1205081699_def51c82.sv$-Model.pdf
    148.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Propsed_Elevations_1_1205081699_def51c82.sv$-Model.pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
Do you mean as you own both houses you would raise the ridge on both so they are still consistent?

Do you mean as you own both houses you would raise the ridge on both so they are still consistent?
That's it yeah - if this would help get the planning passed. I intend to do a loft extension on the other in the future anyway though so would also be helpful there

1. Normally you would apply for what needs applying for and do whatever is PD under PD. However if you just applied to raise a ridge, the council would wonder what for any may remove any PD rights.
2. PD rights would remain unless they are removed as a condition of any planning approval.
3. Knowing the head of planning or being a councillor would improve the chances of this type of application. What it actually looks like in the streetscene is another.
4. If you apply for both, you need to make an application for each address and stipulate that both will be done at the same time - or the council would normally condition any approval as such.

Sponsored Links
1. Normally you would apply for what needs applying for and do whatever is PD under PD. However if you just applied to raise a ridge, the council would wonder what for any may remove any PD rights.
2. PD rights would remain unless they are removed as a condition of any planning approval.
3. Knowing the head of planning or being a councillor would improve the chances of this type of application. What it actually looks like in the streetscene is another.
4. If you apply for both, you need to make an application for each address and stipulate that both will be done at the same time - or the council would normally condition any approval as such.
Thanks for the replies.

I would imagine the street scene looks fine as my neighbours houses are all semi detached and so far away - over 5 meters each side.

On point 4, I can't afford to do both lofts right now so that may be a no go then. I know it's entirely dependant on the council and planners in my area, but would the best course of action here be to try apply for the height extension on the house and just hope for the best? Or is it better to pay for pre planning advice?

Well therein that's their conundrum isn't it. Pre-planning is typically a waste of time/effort/money for small domestic jobs, you have to near enough do a full set of planning documents to maximise the feedback, then if the feedback is negative they will only use that feedback to bolster their decision when you come to actually make the application.

Last edited:
The fact that you could put two storeys on it under PD, and make it look completely out of place may sway a planner to consider a raise of a ridge something that would be more agreeable.

Your first stop would be your council's planning policies and any specific supplementary guidelines.

The only way to know it's to submit a planning application, in full or outline to test their response.

You may be better off applying for each property, as it will look better if the semis match. In which case you could imply that both would be done together but not state it. Then if any approval is conditioned, appeal the condition.

A dormer would lessen the impact of a higher ridge, and would give the purpose for it in any case, so again may be better to add to an application. But the drawings will need to be good enough to show everything in a positive light, and detailed accordingly and appropriately.

And you need to have your arguments ready as to why the raising of a ridge is necessary, rather than merely desirable

The fact that you could put two storeys on it under PD, and make it look completely out of place may sway a planner to consider a raise of a ridge something that would be more agreeable.

Your first stop would be your council's planning policies and any specific supplementary guidelines.

The only way to know it's to submit a planning application, in full or outline to test their response.

You may be better off applying for each property, as it will look better if the semis match. In which case you could imply that both would be done together but not state it. Then if any approval is conditioned, appeal the condition.

A dormer would lessen the impact of a higher ridge, and would give the purpose for it in any case, so again may be better to add to an application. But the drawings will need to be good enough to show everything in a positive light, and detailed accordingly and appropriately.

And you need to have your arguments ready as to why the raising of a ridge is necessary, rather than merely desirable

Unfortunately I don't think that PD right would apply to me as the house was built in 1904, but in general yes I do find it a bit silly that this would kick up so much fuss but those PD rights exist for many houses.

Good point re implying rather than outright stating, and having appeals at the ready. I have plans drawn out in autocad and was hoping to submit myself and save some money, however by the sounds of it it may be better to get an architect to deal with this and work their way around the conditions. Thanks for all the info!

Unless specifically removed, all houses will have PD rights.

Regarding drawings, when things are potentially contentious it's important that good drawings are used to highlight the positives and hide the negatives. Plus a top drawer, comprehensive design statement.

There is a post on here from a while back where the OP had awful drawings (and design) which got them a refusal for something that could have been approved.

Unless specifically removed, all houses will have PD rights.

Regarding drawings, when things are potentially contentious it's important that good drawings are used to highlight the positives and hide the negatives. Plus a top drawer, comprehensive design statement.

There is a post on here from a while back where the OP had awful drawings (and design) which got them a refusal for something that could have been approved.

I assumed I didn't have PD rights as the planning portal says the following:
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 10.35.17.png

Have I got this wrong/ misunderstanding that? I assumed as the house is Edwardian I didn't have PD rights for extra stories.

Does that text you quote just relate to additional storeys?

PD rights apply to relevent properties built after 1/7/48 or existing properties as they stood on that date.

My advice is apply for pp to raise the ridge and add dormers to each property. This will need two applications. The LPA may put a condition that both must be completed at the same time but I don't think this would be enforceable and you could get it removed at appeal. But, then again, they may not put on a condition.

PS. The 1948-2018 date isn't relevant to the class B of Part 1 - it probably refers to class AA or something?

My advice is apply for pp to raise the ridge and add dormers to each property. This will need two applications. The LPA may put a condition that both must be completed at the same time but I don't think this would be enforceable and you could get it removed at appeal. But, then again, they may not put on a condition.

PS. The 1948-2018 date isn't relevant to the class B of Part 1 - it probably refers to class AA or something?

Makes sense, cheers! Reckon the elevations i attached as well as a good design statement would suffice, or is there anything else necessary?

And yeah what I sent was specifically about adding additional stories, in reply to what @^woody^ said:

The link I was looking at says these specific rights don't apply for my house, so I wouldn't be able to use this to sway planners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back