Ridge height calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My approved application mentions a ridge height of 6339mm above ground. As the ground is quite inclined and uneven around the house, is there a standard method of determining the ridge height, for example when the neighbours complain ?

Sponsored Links
How was the proposed ridge height calculated or shown on the approved drawing(s) as in its relationship to ground level?

Although for a slightly different reason, heights of buildings for PD are taken from the highest adjacent ground level to which the building sits.

I am not sure how the "existing" ridge height was calculated and where it was measured from. It is not specified in the planning application and they did not ask about it at the time even though the ground is inclined.

As we are landscaping heavily and reducing ground levels maybe I should refrain until some sort of approval/confirmation is in place by the planning department as to our final ridge height?

Sponsored Links
Just make sure it's not 6340mm above whatever it is supposed to be from, or the council will be on your case.

My approved application mentions a ridge height of 6339mm above ground. As the ground is quite inclined and uneven around the house, is there a standard method of determining the ridge height, for example when the neighbours complain ?
How are the neighbours going to complain if your plan has been approved?

It is measured from the highest existing ground or paving level adjacent to whatever you are building, not just where the ridge is.

My approved application mentions a ridge height of 6339mm

My approved planning application for an outbuilding has a drawing which shows the ridge height as 3500mm +/- 100mm

This is something I've encountered on numerous occasions, usually when enforcement has asked me to measure it on their behalf, my first question is always from which point and even to ask do you mean internal or external level, existing original level(s) or raised level. I can't remeber how many times that I've told them the condition is to vague. One authority did change there wording to a fixed level to be marked and agreed on site.

This is something I've encountered on numerous occasions, usually when enforcement has asked me to measure it on their behalf, my first question is always from which point and even to ask do you mean internal or external level, existing original level(s) or raised level. I can't remeber how many times that I've told them the condition is to vague. One authority did change there wording to a fixed level to be marked and agreed on site.
it is too vague -its impossible to be specific about a height above a datum when the datum is not clearly determined.

If a surveyor did a measured survey, the levels would be marked at various points on the site -all taken from a datum.

it is too vague -its impossible to be specific about a height above a datum when the datum is not clearly determined.

If a surveyor did a measured survey, the levels would be marked at various points on the site -all taken from a datum.
To be fair my last authority did change the wording on my suggestion.

How are the neighbours going to complain if your plan has been approved?

They already have and continue to complain to the council at all stages, during planning and construction.

I am 100% certain they will also dispute the ridge height (and anything else they can).

The house is built on a sloping downwards ground. The plans show ridge heights quite vaguely, eg a sketch showing height at the front, but the front is also inclined.

My new front porch will be underground unless I reduce the levels at the front of the house. But if I do that then measurements taken from the "front" will show the ridge being higher. As I am 100% certain of one or more complaints and inspections to come after construction, I should therefore refrain from reducing ground levels.

The question is, is there a mechanism by which I can have my construction approved, and *then* be able to reduce ground levels as I please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back