planning consultant fees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
im submitting a planning application for a large rear extension. The application is supported by a medical letter so going off the local design guide it will come under the exceptional circumstances rule.

Iv asked a planning consultant to write me a strong supporting letter to carry some weight for the application.

For the letter i have been quoted £400 + vat.

Is that about right?

Sponsored Links
That sounds outrageous! When you say ‘so going off the local design guide it will come under the exceptional circumstances rule’ what does that mean exactly? Is this a letter to justify why no LA fee is payable?

Or is this just a letter/document to support the application because the design is outside Local Plan guidance?

Design guide states that up to 4metres rear extension, However under certain circumstances a longer extension can be considered for ie disabled needs etc etc

OK so just a supporting document to justify the application, well going to a fully-fledged firm of architects then £400 is prolly about what you’d expect (though still a ripp-off). But maybe here’s something to consider, I’ve done whole planning applications to include all drawings and a justification document for front extensions for disabled use for about £500 all in. And I’ll bet that whole application package would put many others to shame.

And this is only a rear extension.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Iv just had a email in regards to the quote.
il ring him to justify how have you worked out 400 pounds.

He did say hed charge me a hourly rate of 80 pounds plus.

How long does it take write a letter?

Here's all it needs to be though for other supporting documents I have added photos etc to justify them as required:

statement.JPG

Are you any good at writing yourself? It's really identifying which parts of the application could be objected to and then justifying why you think exceptional circumstances should be allowed eg I've spoken to the neighbours they are all in support, it cannot be seen from the road and hit them with the medical card of course etc. And then just writing it in a clear manner. Is the reason you are doing the works for a 'disabled person' as such ie blue badge holder. You can prolly get your doctor to write a supporting letter too btw, I've done that before.

Thanx freddy

I have a comprehensive signed medical letter from the GP. Aso entlitlement letter from DLA to say customer recieves higher rate mobility and care component of the benefit. Neighbour as given a signed statement that he has no objection to the design of the extension. Carers come to the property 4 times a day.
The proposed extension is 6.2meters long. Kitchen Including a disabled wet room.

First im goin to ask the question to the consultant how as he come to 400 pounds ie does that include supporting the application to the end inc committe determinations etc etc

A planning consultant's letter "strongly supporting" the application is meaningless.

He will be your agent and so the letter will carry no weight. All it will be, is a factual statement about the application and how it meets (in your agent's opinion) the local planning policy.

The council have to assess the application on their policy, if it meets the policy then it must be approved. There is subjective opinion where the application deviates slightly for disabled use, but no council will want to refuse a genuine, but reasonable application for disabled use.

£400 is way too much.

I don't understand what you're saying here?

The agent is employed by the applicant, so it's not a supporting letter from an independent, unbiased person.

The views within it carry no weight as the applicant is paying for the agent to express those views. OK, the agent can highlight certain aspects of the application, but the planner would/should be aware of them anyway.

Letters that do carry weight will come from doctors, adjacent building owners, charities, care associations etc. These will highlight aspects which influence the subjective criteria as to why the application should be approved based on need.

I would suggest that such a letter should have gone in as standard from whoever submitted the application, and at no additional cost.

When someone is applying for something not run of the mill, then they should always include reasons and supporting documents as part of the initial application, and not as some sort of optional extra.

I don't understand what you're saying here?

The agent is employed by the applicant, so it's not a supporting letter from an independent, unbiased person.

The views within it carry no weight as the applicant is paying for the agent to express those views. OK, the agent can highlight certain aspects of the application, but the planner would/should be aware of them anyway.
Well I beg to differ, experience has taught me that they can carry weight, acting on behalf of the client you are effectively the clients voice.

I would suggest that such a letter should have gone in as standard from whoever submitted the application, and at no additional cost.

When someone is applying for something not run of the mill, then they should always include reasons and supporting documents as part of the initial application, and not as some sort of optional extra.
Agree with that bit though whole heartedly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back