Planning- extension Swimming pool or Snooker room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help.

Looking at doing a large rear extension for a swimming pool. We are concerned the neighbours and poss planning will object. A swimming pool in a (large) suburban house garden!
In making a planning application if the room wasn't labelled or was labelled Snooker room for example for planning, and then decided to build a swimming pool inside, is there an issue?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the pool going to be inside a building, you don't need PP for a pool per se but maybe for the building.

Sponsored Links
I looked at this a while ago but quite hard to comment without knowing more details about size and whether the swimming pool building would be connected to the main house. If not, it's very possible you could build it under permitted development rights.

Read here for further details (http://webarchive.nationalarchives....00806_pdforhouseholders_technicalguidance.pdf) but I think key points for you would be the following (assuming it won't connect to your house and you don't have any issues like being a listed building or in an AONB):

• Building can't be higher than 3m at any point (unless dual pitched roof) and 2.5m at eaves
  • Capacity of the swimming pool is no more than 3,500 litres
  • Total area taken up by building is less than 50% of current curtilage (the land around your house)
  • You don't build a veranda, balcony or raised platform
If you can satisfy all of those limits you may well be able to do this under PD but double check the link I sent as I only had a quick look through.

Good luck!

Haha that's true actually. I hadn't really thought about what that capacity translated to.

In which case you're back to not declaring the swimming pool which could give you PD but then you risk a neighbour complaining and potential enforcement.

If, however, you speak with your neighbours and they have no objection then it's unlikely to draw any attention. After 4 years you can then apply for retrospective planning (with no fear of enforcement). Depends on your risk appetite and how averse you are to breaking rules (assuming not very as you asked about calling it a snooker room!).

Playing devils advocate could the planners argue that the construction of a swimming pool is an engineering operation? I seem to recall them using that little ruse to cover things like landscaping and similar non building works.

I can imagine that it's not trivial from a building regs point of view. I'm not sure why planning would mind though? Like building an underground basement and putting your lawn/garden on top.

The technical guidance specifically mentions that swimming pools (assuming they meet the criteria) are PD.

Make it have a slide over pool top with a snooker table on top of that.
Double bubble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back