Planning for decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a local landscaper install a new deck in the back garden, I'm very pleased with it.

Problem is, I got a letter from the planners a couple of days ago telling me I need planning permission for it, this means £150 for the application and I'll need to hire an architect.

He says it's my problem, I think he should have advised me about planning when he first looked at the job.

What do you think, should I go away and get on with it, or do you think he is to blame?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
planning is always your responsibility as its your address on the document

it would be helpful maybe even good practice to mention thats assuming he actually knows

was it the 300mm or half the garden area or another factor that's the problem

Whilst big-nose speaks the truth in that it is the homeowners responsible I feel that a 'professional' in the trade really ought to know what they're doing has implications. You can't criticise a homeowner for not knowing and not expect a tradesman doing it for a living to know! I cynically suspect he did know yet plays dumb to avoid killing the job!

I think the OP should put it down to experience and get on and get his permission. No need to employ an architect though, an application like this really could be done by most homeowners even with extremely limited drawing skills! Certainly no need for an architect, plenty of cheaper alternatives out there. Plenty of advice to got off this forum too if the OP wants to do it themselves.

Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

I think I will try a similar post in the forum 'in the garden' just to see if I can get any thoughts from landscapers who may have experienced similar situations and how they have dealt with it. Just to get an angle from the other side.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Tend to agree with Freddy. If a landscaper doesn't know the basic legal requirements around his area of work then he's not much of a professional is he?

Having said that I don't see any point bleating about. If you'd done the planning first you would have had to pay for it. All that's happening is that your doing it in reverse. It's still down to you to pay up.

That assumes of course that the application is approved. If it's not then you'll obviously need to set the heavies on him.

And you don't "need" an architect to put together some plans and submit a retrospective application. A technician/draughtsman can do that for you, at a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back