planning on a new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks

So i recently posted about knocking a wall into our esiting extension, sized around 2.5 x 2.5m on the rear of the house.

This idea has not been scrapped. i have looked into if it is cost effective to bring the extension up to specs with new roof, windows etc but since found out theres no footings in it and its built on a concrete slab thats more like mortar.

So the new plan is to build a new one. now, im a person that likes to cut costs but without cutting corners, i have had two builders or more so "all in one companys" and one has given me a quote for £14,000 for a Shelled extension, walls, and windows/patio doors supplied by us as we have a friend who owns a glazing company, my uncle is a sparky and can sign off and we have plasterers we have used for the rest of the house. builder #2 still waiting for price.

Builder #3 is coming tomorrow!

Size is 3m x 3m, with 1 foul drain that is in the way, that he said woulld be utilized just relocated. GRP roof. we will be knocking down the exisiting as we have someone with a digger on hand thats actually turning over the garden for us. Decided on block build then render.

So i would like to know my best route to get this sorted, would it be cost effective for me to get architectual technictian drawings done, submit them, get them approved with regs and then i can source my bricky? i dont mind digging footings and even a large amount of the groundwork with enough research. but i dont know if it will save me much??

i did a little searching and from what i see i could do a builders notice, basic plans to the council but i will have more information on the regs if i go with full technician plans? if so, any ideas on a ball park figure?

i will need a build over agreement, as advised previously by you guys. if i apply for this now (not sure on cost), how long does it last? and is this something i could possibly take on?

If i get plans drawn, submitted, how long to act on them?

Other question, is there a timescale between inspector visits? as in if it takes me longer than a builder to get it out the ground, does it matter?

what do you guys think? should i bother? i guess what i am asking is the process and how much i "could" save if all goes to plan (yeah)

just to give an idea on things iv done to see if i can even do it, i have done a 13sqm garage slab, subgrade rebard, c30 pumped in. EPDM roofing on same size. Concrete lintel on load bearing wall and minor brickwork. complete new bathroom from bare brick and cieling rafters, shelled upstairs and complete new plasterboarding. (i cant plaster tho!!)

All this is very different from an extension but not affraid to do what i can.

really sorry for long post!!!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So i would like to know my best route to get this sorted, would it be cost effective for me to get architectual technictian drawings done, submit them, get them approved with regs
Yes, best route.
but i will have more information on the regs if i go with full technician plans?
It's called a Full Plans Submission,always the best route in my opinion for all building apart from odd items of work.
if so, any ideas on a ball park figure?
the fees for plan drawing work are a small fraction of the cost of the building work.
If i get plans drawn, submitted, how long to act on them?
bldg regs drgs can be approved in about 5 weeks depending on the workload of the Building Control dept. Planning if required will take longer maybe 3 months for a small extension.
Other question, is there a timescale between inspector visits? as in if it takes me longer than a builder to get it out the ground, does it matter?
BCO inspects the work in stages of construction.

Thanks leofric.

So its probably best to start getting all these things sorted first. And do they expire? I guess regs just get updated.

Also with full plans submission, am i more likley for it all to be accepted?

Round here, planning expires (if work not started), neither expire once you’ve started so you can take as long as you need.
If regs get updated, you’re still only meeting the regs at the time of when you submitted/got approved. Ie they don’t retro apply new regs (in my experience)

Sponsored Links
Also with full plans submission, am i more likley for it all to be accepted?
You get somebody who knows what they are doing to prepare the bldg. regs drawings and submit the application and it will be approved. There may be one or two conditions with the approval notice but the designer will provide additional information or amend the drawings as necessary in order to comply with the regs. The thing is this is all done before you start work on site so you are avoiding abortive work if something doesn't comply.

Hey leofric

Yes i fully understand that. I did some reading on it today and definitly the way to go for me.

I am currently trying to chase some architecture tech's up. Well i will be as of tomorrow. If anyone has anyone to reccomend, drop me a message i am walsall based.

The more i look into it, the more i want to take it on. Lets see where i get with the plans before i get too excited though!

I found a website where i can pay a subscription to that has bregs easyier to follow so i will probably sign up to that if required at the time.

I can see a build log coming if the next few quotes i get are out my range. Or if i am honest i am a tight bugger that needs this to stretch!

I found a website where i can pay a subscription to that has bregs easyier to follow so i will probably sign up to that if required at the time.
Don't pay any subscription to see bldg. regs, you can view Bldg Regs Approved Documents free of charge on The Planning Portal or LABC website.
An architectural technician will sort out the building construction and your bldg. regs approval anyway.

Oh right, Fair enough then. Wont be doing that.

Iv been in touch with an architect today, really helpfull. He has advised a private inspector. Obvioudly this is optional but he sold it go me as he is more helpful and there for me rather than council. He give me the run though on fees and what not all seems reasonable.

Going to take him up on it and get the drawings done.

We need to take the old extension down but dont want to do this till we have the other approved just in case. Sound like a good move?

Sound like a good move?
Yes

Do your research on the foundations -its where most unforeseen costs go.

Check soil type, any trees or hedges nearby, check depth of top soil, make sure you arent building on public drains, power lines etc.

For a diyer getting full plans drawn up is well worthwhile -there are so many building reg parts that its possible to miss something out -its easy enough for a pro builder to miss something let alone a diyer person wherevits all new.

He has advised a private inspector. Obvioudly this is optional but he sold it go me as he is more helpful and there for me rather than council.
Whatever your architect thinks is the best for you , I never thought it made much all that much difference whether local authority , NHBC or private inspector , they are all just seeing the work complies with building regs.
QUOTE="martysmarty, post: 4425598, member: 234542"]Going to take him up on it and get the drawings done. (y)
We need to take the old extension down but dont want to do this till we have the other approved just in case. Sound like a good move?[/QUOTE] yes(y)

Thanks guys.

Had a builder down and he come with a architect, both great guys. Picked their brains and builder was happy for me to go through his architect or use him for the job. The architect spent a while talking about drains and ways to get around things, our sink is going into a storm and he has proposed cheapest and arguably best solution is a soakaway as we have a big garden. He said there may be a way to branch it once its excavated but hes said to account for the soakaway. We have easy access into foul manhole so no issues for domestic waste.

Builder said if i do use him hes happy for me to get stuck in and will let me do all footings and anything else i want to do, the choice is mine really.

No prices yet so waiting on that.

Architect said he would go the route of prior notification and build out past 3m to 3.5m just to give extra.

If i take it on i will still want to submit full plans. Lets see what comes back

The best procedure is for the architect to prepare drawings for your approval, obtain planning permission as necessary, then building regulations approval and the builder then builds to the architect's approved drawings. You can liaise with the architect every step of the way.

Im with you on that buddy. I am just holding out to see what this builders price is going to be. I have a feeling from the vibe i got from this builder and architect it will be a realistic price rather than one that seemed a bit pulled out of thin air. Otherwise i will go with the other architects full plans and self build.

Obviously my time is free so it wont be like doing it myself, . I just need to see how much it will cost with him

Thanks to you guys and a bit of digging though it all seems a lot clearer.

So the architect has forwarded papers to me detailing procedures and costs that will/can turn up at given times.

All seems fine so the plan is to get him started, then i can go from there.

Been thinking the whole thing over and just been thinking about the new water supply. Just off the top of my head idea would be a new pipe layed in from street access, trench front garden as its easy to do and repair, take it through front of the house, under our suspended livingroom flooring, this will be up already as we are having new gas installed, then through a wall into kitchen where our boiler is. The wall that will be knocked down i to the extenzion is where stopcock is.

Seems trent water offer free leaded pipe replacment.

If you guys cant snswer this then dont worry its not an issue at the moment. Just factoring in my costs.

Last edited:
A new update on this and could do with a little knoledge.

So, we have got a builder we trust to carry out the building work. So i am not getting involved untill the water tight shell is complete. Funding is in place and we are agreed on figures for the building work.

Now he does not get involved with the planning side of things, hes left that to me to sort. So my question is what route i need to follow.

Is it still best to go full plans route? Its planned size is 3.5m out by 4.2m width. I think it falls into permitted development but will have to go through the neighbour consultation schene still as its a semi and over 3m. We have talked to them just to give the heads up.

So my thing is maybe its worth me just going building notice as he knows what hes doing, there will be some small plans to do for drainage but dont think any other drawings need to be done, minus steels

If i should still go full plans we can, i dont mind if it's best. Does seem easyer to hand it over to an architect and do full plans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back