Planning permission denied

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We applied for planning permission with Rushmoor, via our architect on Friday last week.

We had a call from the architect today saying that planning permission was denied as we don't have 3 off road car parking spaces.

The extension would've provided a 4th bedroom and extended the bathroom.

We can actually fit about 5 cars in front of our house if we need to, but the driveway only has space for 2 cars. See the 2 attached pictures.

I have never heard of this requirement and can't understand it when there are some houses with no off road parking at all.

can anyone help us to make sense of/ to get around this. Do we need to drop the curb and remove the hedges to make a 3rd space?
Can we call the smallest bedroom a study?
Please help Thanks

Pictures removed

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can't get a planning permission decision in three working days! No way.

And your post is otherwise a bit random with no detail about what you are actually applying for.

You can't get a planning permission decision in three working days! No way.

And your post is otherwise a bit random with no detail about what you are actually applying for.

Rushmoor is known for it's quick turnaround, the email we received when the application was filed said we would have an answer within 10 working days.
Maybe it was just the planning officer letting the architect know that it will fail.

We are applying for an extension above the existing side extension to get a 4th bedroom and bigger bathroom.

Rushmoor is known for it's quick turnaround

If you are applying for planning permission, there is a statutory 28 day consultation period.
Quick turnaround or not, they can't give permission in less time than that, plus a week or two to do their work.

You need to be clear about what permission you were applying for as that affects the criteria used to assess it, the outcome, and any advice you get here

Sponsored Links
Rushmoor is known for it's quick turnaround

If you are applying for planning permission, there is a statutory 28 day consultation period.
Quick turnaround or not, they can't give permission in less time than that, plus a week or two to do their work.

You need to be clear about what permission you were applying for as that affects the criteria used to assess it, the outcome, and any advice you get here

All i know is that the architect had the phone call from the planning officer saying that the highways agency wouldn't grant permission due to the reasons stated.
It is probably the officer giving usba chance to work with them to get it through

Not sure what you mean by what permission we're applying for.
Planning permssion for a 1st floor extension above the existing side extension

So my question is how to get around it.
How can we make them believe we have enough parking, or should we call 1 bedroom a study?
Any other way of getting it through?

It's just not possible that your Architect has submitted a planning application and the council call him three days later with a refusal. It just can't happen. No way. Never.

Your Architect is not telling you the full story, or you're posting the wrong information

On that basis, no one can give an opinion on your problem.

so how about we forget about how long it has taken and just get advice on how to get the planning approved?
I am giving the information exactly as it is, and I'll call the planning office tomorrow to clarify.

so how about we forget about how long it has taken and just get advice on how to get the planning approved?

Because if that was not a proper planning application refusal, then no-one can advise you how to how to deal with a refused planning application. We may as well give you a carrot cake recipe

Because if that was not a proper planning application refusal, then no-one can advise you how to how to deal with a refused planning application. We may as well give you a carrot cake recipe
Don't need a carrot cake recipe, I have one already. But I apparently don't have 3x 2.4x4.8m parking spaces which is why my planning couldn't go further.

Add the creation of the third space to the plans.

Well we have spoken to the planning officer.
She says that as it is the planning would be denied, so we need to make adjustments.
We don't have space for 3x 4.8x2.4 metre parking spaces, as is required by new legislation, as our garden is a bit to short to comply.
So if we keep it as a 3 bedroom property we won't need the 3 spaces as it isn't adding any bedrooms.
So the idea is to make one of the bedrooms an ensuite in the plans to comply and see what happens from there.

So, it hasn't been denied; but it hs been registered and validated, and will be refused unless it is withdrawn?

She says that as it is the planning would be denied

You are applying for a first floor extension, and they have involved highways who are concerned about existing parking? That is nonsense.

You need your agent to clarify this for you, and I would post the details here because all this seems like half a story.

There is no way that a planner can make that decision in a few days or even should give any opinion - its contrary to the rules they have to follow, and is not how the planning system works.

You have not even gone through the consultation stage nor given opportunity to have the planner comment formally, receive public comment, report on it, or pass it to committee, or appeal on any decision.

So, it hasn't been denied; but it hs been registered and validated, and will be refused unless it is withdrawn?
Think she is giving us the option to alter it.
But after talking to the strategy planner she said they are likely to refuse it anyway as they know we want 4 bedrooms.
Just going to leave it in the hands of the architect now, and if it is refused we'll hold her accountable.
She should've alerted us to the parking issue in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back