Planning permission denied

Once upon a time, an S106 agreement might have dealt with the parking issue. Unfortunately (for you), these are regularly overturned, so it's possible Councils are growing wary of the idea.

Sponsored Links
@op; if you look on page two of the standard planning application form, Q8 asks: 'will the proposed works affect existing car parking arrangements ? Yes/No'.

A first floor extension would not impact on your parking arrangements, so what's the problem with the council. Why has your 'architect' not followed this up?

You are applying for a first floor extension, and they have involved highways who are concerned about existing parking? That is nonsense.

No it's not. I've had exactly the same issue with a two story side extension I planned.

Highways knocked it back so it had to be redesigned. New rules for off street parking came in, which I knew nothing about, so had to meet the requirements.

Similarly to the OP, I found this out after a week or so to give me the opportunity to amend the plans. The first consultation is always to the highways department - if they knock it back there's no point the planners doing a load of unnecessary work.

Sponsored Links
@op; if you look on page two of the standard planning application form, Q8 asks: 'will the proposed works affect existing car parking arrangements ? Yes/No'.

A first floor extension would not impact on your parking arrangements, so what's the problem with the council. Why has your 'architect' not followed this up?
Apparently it's to do with number of bedrooms. A new law brought in that if you add an extra bedroom you have to have a certain number of parking spaces according to how many bedrooms you have.

It is due to the parking problems in the area.

Apparently it's to do with number of bedrooms. A new law brought in that if you add an extra bedroom you have to have a certain number of parking spaces according to how many bedrooms you have.
So if you called the room something other than a bedroom on the submitted plans, would they be accepted?

No it's not. I've had exactly the same issue with a two story side extension I planned.

Are you saying that you and the OP have the same super-planner that can assess an application in a few days, with no consultation, and contrary to the procedure that planners must follow, and deny you the opportunity to have your application properly assessed, and for you to challenge their instant opinion?

Home Cinema
Dressing Room
Study
Prayer Room

Take your pick!
No we spoke to the planning officer and she said this wouldn't work, as we could still use it as a bedroom.
We would need to significantly change it, ensuite, dressing room, extend existing bedroom........

No we spoke to the planning officer and she said this wouldn't work, as we could still use it as a bedroom.
We would need to significantly change it, ensuite, dressing room, extend existing bedroom........

Then you just do it as an extended, large bedroom, and then put a studwork dividing wall back once it's built. Planning can't do anything about internal alterations.

In general, this car-parking requirement thing is used by councils as one of the tools to prevent development. They enjoy dreaming up these rstrictive local policies - it makes them feel important - rather than the over-paid, dim and spiteful little turds that they are.

Are you saying that you and the OP have the same super-planner that can assess an application in a few days, with no consultation, and contrary to the procedure that planners must follow, and deny you the opportunity to have your application properly assessed, and for you to challenge their instant opinion?

What are you on about? In my case I spoke directly to the regional highways officer who pointed out that it wasn't designed to current regulations. We discussed the options over the phone and the plans were amended. All in all, 30 minutes, give or take, to amend leading to a granted application. Why on earth would I wait up to 8 weeks for an application to be refused to then have to resubmit to wait a further 8 weeks?

Why on earth would I wait up to 8 weeks

Because then you would know that there are no "regulations", that a highways officer does not know planning policy implementation so should not be listened to, and that it's easy to get approval for extensions that do not specifically involve altering access to the property as part of that application, as long as they conform to the standard extension design guidelines.

That is the whole point with this OP. Their application has not even been registered and assessed, and they are been guided by a planners informal opinion without the support that the formal process provides. The fact that the OP has a clueless agent does not help things though. So they will end up doing lots of unnecessary work, or like you needlessly altering their extension design.

Our application has been registered and we've spoken to the planning officer and strategy planner as well.
The planning officer reiterated what our architect said.
We need 3 off road parking spaces to extend our house to a 4th bedroom

OK, if that's what the planner says, your agent can't think of any possible reason to challenge that informal opinion at such an early stage, and your agent thinks that the correct planning policy is being applied, and just wants to alter the plans at your expense, then just crack on with it and alter the drive. What the problem?

Noone said it isn't being challenged.
We are challenging it is I speak
I simply came to this forum for some advice, which some people have kindly offered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back