Planning permission for a patio?

I

imamartian

Surely it's still april 1st?
The One Show reports that from August... unless you use blocks with irregular sides, you'll have to apply for (and pay for) planning permission for your slabbed patio....?
Madness
Surely missing a slab out every 3Msq would have the same effect?

Sponsored Links
Surely it's still april 1st?
The One Show reports that from August... unless you use blocks with irregular sides, you'll have to apply for (and pay for) planning permission for your slabbed patio....?
Madness
Surely missing a slab out every 3Msq would have the same effect?

Whaaat :eek: I hope they & you are joshing!

I watched it, it makes sence, but who will bother applying for permision. They did say FRONT GARDEN.

i had already highlighted this on an earlier topic, (about a month ago) with ^woody^ echoing my concerns.

didn't you believe us. :eek:
;)

the search facility is pants!

Sponsored Links
Yes it was mentioned, but not regarding irregular shaped blocks, but relating to permeability from the surface.

And on a related matter raised decking is development in certain circumstances and may require pp

I have also heard of this.

As woody has already said, its mainly to do with surface run off of water and the permability of the final surface.

I have read a document somewhere that goes into mentioning linear drainage for newly instaled driveways of "Non Permiable constructed surfaces" (namely tarmac, concrete)

shall have a dig around and see if i can find the document.

meanwhile, have a look at this blog from a very informative website that is the dogs dangly bits with anything to do with paving, patios, flagging and so on.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blog/blog2007.htm

Surely block paving on sand is permeable?! One wonders what definition will be used.

Normally any hard surface is angled to falls, to direct the majority of rainwater to a drain or suchlike. Only a small % of rain gets through the surface.

The idea is that many hard standings direct water to drains, and this is so unfashionable, as the water companies have to then spend their money treating it (which could be profits instead) and then they lose it on the way back to us through their leaky pipes (which could be profits instead of repairs).

Also the planners have finally caught on to the fact that by allowing/encouraging houses and blocks of flats to pop up on every bit of spare back garden, then there are many properties using a drain intended for one.

Then when we have a bit of summer rain, everyone wonders why the water does not go away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back