Planning Permission for rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Hope someone can help clear up this querey...

If I apply for a double storey extension but only complete a single storey with a view to building the rest at a later date when finances permit, do I need to re-apply for changes? I have been told by architect that it would be acceptable to apply for double but only do single.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I believe so. I worked on a project not so long ago that was originally built in 1972, about 4/5ths of the way through the developer went bust. We built the remaining 1/5th of the development about two years ago on the back of the original 1972 planning permission!

I agree. The key thing is that once you 'start work' on a planning approval the planning then lasts forever - so you could do half the job now and finish it years later.

Having said that I'm in a tricky one at the moment which the local authority are fighting tooth and nail. Clients father obtained planning permission to convert a very old building to a house way back in 1985. He started work but didn't get very far. In fact he only installed a length of drain. However, they had the good foresight to get a letter from the planning department confirming that work had started. Father then passes away and nothing has happened since - until late last year when the Son decided to start work again. The moment work started the neighbour was on to the planning department and a letter arrived.

Planners are arguing that the works were abandoned and they want a re-application - which I've refused. I've asked them to either send a letter ending the matter or issue an enforcement notice so we can go to appeal. They won't do either at the moment which must mean they're not sure of their position.

Still, I don't think that would affect you. If you've half built it could hardly be said to be abandoned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back