Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents recently passed away and I inherited the family home. As I have to sell I have been going through the deads and cannot find any planning permission for a garage (at the front) he converted into a room extension.

No doubt I will have to go to the local (Sefton) planning department but I wondered if anyone knows if there is a sort of stature of limitations for planning. This was done over fifteen years ago. Would like to try and sort out before anyone comes to buy and the whole process slows down.

Can they do it retrospectively? If so how long does this sort of thing take.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
No replies but no worries.

I called into the planning office today and they gave me a form to fill in that is quite basic and all I do is write a letter stating whats what. Apparently they cannot enforce after ten years.

thanks for your feed back it may help others as you appreciate its an unusual situation and your answer will help thanks again

Just an update.

Planning have now reasurred me that no planning permission is required, retrospective or...

However I was advised to go to 'Building and Control' to check on work etc. and ending up having to pay them £198.00 so they can send someone along to tick all the right boxes.

Bit miffed about the £198.00 especially after being told that planning was not needed. However I suppose if everything is ok (as I believe) there will be no room for any prospective buyers to 'haggle' as a result of ommisions in the paper trail. Just hope the guy from Building Regs. doesnt ask us to expose whats what and rip up the decorating.

Sponsored Links
A tip I use is to photograph the various stages of the work to prove that you have complied with things like insulation and damp proof course and such like .

I doubt you will ahve to even bother with building control most mortgage questionaires ask about any works carried out within the last ten years.They aren't worried about whether your building meets b regs just if its likely to fall down or not, they assume that if its neen up for ten years without any problems its most probably ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back