plans for floating platform bed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to build a floating base platform bed can anyone give any advice or reccomend any links for tips

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Smart-Air-Beds-Deluxe-Flock-Top-Raised-Super-Full-Size-Overnight-Inflatable-Air-Bed-Mattress-with-Built-In-Pillow-BD-1113F.jpg

p-pool.jpg

:mrgreen:

Thanks but no thanks nose :D

I knew id need more detail but didnt have time yesterday!

Basically our bedroom is a an exstention above the garage therefore long and narrow.

We currently have a king size bed at the one end below the window and an esuite at the the other end of the room.

Having a king size bed leaves very little room either side and we want a change around.

We want to put the bed on the longer wall therfore giving us more room either side, granted this will give us no much at the end but eh ho!

this is quick plan of what we want with some measurments

bedroom2_zps0906f95f.jpg

We thought about buying a divan bed as we could just about one that way but i dont really like them. We want a solid wood bed, Saw this on youtube and really like it.

Want to make it custom sized to keep with of king size but we dont need the length as we are both shorties :LOL:

Im not an expert but am capable and a good range of tools ie drill, mitre, circular, table saw ect

Any help would be great.

cheers

Sponsored Links
The legs /supports look a bit flimsy and Ill placed I thick the design is a compromise to fasion The Shakers had a saying "Utility is beauty,"But I did like his corner clamp's

I'd agree with HarbourWoodwork. "If it looks right then it is right" was the old saying, and 99% of the time it works. This all looks a bit light to me. I'd have used thicker timber for the construction, put some corner blocks screwed and glued in, and joined the legs along the length. Beds have to take a fair bit of weight and movement.
Have you thought about how you are going to get it out of the room if you ever need to move etc?

You could construct bed and hinge legs, then hinge onto wall allowing the entire bed to fold into purpose built wall cup'd leaving the room spacious during the day and just dropping at night.
Stayed at a resort in Miami and all the rooms had folding beds even the kingsize, with the aid of springs to support the weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back