Plans for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about extending my house to add another bedroom and maybe an en-suite. The house is an end terrace with a single extension on the gable end which is one floor high with flat roof.

I'm thinking of adding another floor and also extending to the roof line of the existing house so adding the possibility of attic conversion as well.

How do I go about getting the plans made up and can I save some money by doing anything myself before consulting an architect etc. How much will this cost?

Also how deep or big do the existing founds have to be to support the extra load?

Thanks for any help.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
This is bread and butter work for me. I charge, on average, about £650 to £750 for drawings including a measure survey, preparation of existing plans, elevations, 1:1250 location map and 1:200 block plan, proposed plans and elevations and filling out forms and dealing with queries and negotiations with the planning department. I then offer drawings and spec for full plans building regulations for an extra £300.

You may also need some structural calculations. If these are straightforward I do them myself for about £100 to £200...ish. If they are complex the client must instruct a structural engineer.

I'm not sure what you can do in preparation for this other than have a clear idea about what you want from the extension and the size etc.

PS. I am a chartered building surveyor. Architects fees are likely to be more but your extension will probably turn out looking a lot prettier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back