Plaster boarding over tie straps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Soon I'm going to be plaster boarding my Timberfre garage.

I'm not too sure how to go about the boarding over the various metal brackets/tie down straps.

The only thing I could come up with is to use the thermal plasterboard, where it will form around the metalwork rather than make plasterboard not sit flat.

Any other ideas apart from this?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Cut out notches in the board where underlying objects interfere, then fill with bonding and tape over before skimming.

I'd just cut the paper, and scrap the back of the board to form a recess. You don't need to do anything for those joist clips, it wont affect the board

Sponsored Links
If you are going to the trouble of plasterboarding the inside of your building. It sounds as though you hope to use it for an office/play room. if you are going to use it as a garage or workshop then plasterboard would not be my cladding of choice.
With a timber framed building the void inside the OSB would be filled with insulation. Then the internal side would be covered with a VCL vapour control layer (thin plastic sheet), this is to stop your hot steamy breath percolating through the wall and as it travels through the insulation, it will get colder and near the inside of the outside OSB, the dampness will come out as real water. The process will continue until the frame rots away. Once this has happened the resulting holes allow the the inside of the wall to dry out. The panel could be very wide, fixings for plasterboard should be a maximum of 2' centres. If you just screw it up around the edges (4 feet apart) then a slip or a push against it and you will break the plasterboard.
Frank

Thank you for your input.
I am insulating it, already got that. But I'll be honest, completely forgot about the vcl, it crossed my mind when I planned it all but it's now got to this stage and just been reminded, so thank you.
The studs are at 16" centres.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back