Plaster coming off with wallpaper...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Major DIY newbie here. I have just attempted removing wallpaper, but it is removing small patches of plaster as I'm peeling it off. Now I don't know if I should carry on peeling it off, or stop until I can get a steamer... or some other solution that I haven't thought of yet.

It's a rented property so I'm reluctant to spend hundreds of pounds having the full room re-plastered, but I suspect I can't just put lining paper on a wall with patches of plaster missing! The eventual plan is to paint the room, not new wallpaper.

I should probably add that apart from the patches that have come off with the wallpaper, the plaster seems to be in fairly good condition. It's not a particularly old property (maybe 1960s at a guess).

Any hints or tips would be very gratefully received!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if`s rented buy a bag of hardwall fill the holes 2-3mm less than the surface level and put some easi-fill over that then sand it off , wack some lining paper up , and never tell the landlord :LOL:

If the plaster is loose whatever you do don't go near it with a steamer! :cry:

If it will not strip when soaked thoroughly and I do mean thoroughly (you want it to almost fall off when touched with a scraper) you are best leaving it alone. Fill the dodgy bits and just paint over the wallpaper if it is vinyl paper might be best to prime with Zinsser Bulls eye 123, first post a picture might help us to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back