Plaster off, ceiling down a few Q's before i move on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people

Thought i would register on here, been reading a lot and come up with a few things i would like some advice on.

Me and the mrs have spent the last 2 days tearing down one of the bedrooms (whole house to be done). we have took it back to brick ready for plaster boarding. i have a few questions about the chimney and cavity infills around the window frame. pictures to come

we have a fireplace in the bedroom and want to completely rid of it. i can do some brick laying work but i didn't even want the air brick in there. so to get round this, i read somewhere about putting an air brick 450mm from the bedroom ceiling inside the loft, and when we get the roof done get a valve put on the pot correct?

And the next question is the window cavity's, should these be filled with an expanding foam to stop drafts getting behind the boards prior to adhesive the boards?

i have done boarding but didn't know about laying a top and bottom bead of adhesive to help combat drafting so i will definitely be doing that.

there's a few other things id like to ask but will get the pictures up first!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i have also been thinking should i put up some new insulation in the hard to reach places in the loft while its exposed. we have angled ceilings in our home they are common in UK houses. previous loft insulators obviously couldn't get into some of the areas!

Good stuff :). Think you may need 3 posts in order to post pics btw.

Were the ceilings the old plaster and lath ones or plasterboard? I've read the former can come down quite spectacularly.

Hi people

Thought i would register on here, been reading a lot and come up with a few things i would like some advice on.

Me and the mrs have spent the last 2 days tearing down one of the bedrooms (whole house to be done). we have took it back to brick ready for plaster boarding. i have a few questions about the chimney and cavity infills around the window frame. pictures to come

we have a fireplace in the bedroom and want to completely rid of it. i can do some brick laying work but i didn't even want the air brick in there. so to get round this, i read somewhere about putting an air brick 450mm from the bedroom ceiling inside the loft, and when we get the roof done get a valve put on the pot correct?

I don't quite understand this? Do you want to remove the fireplace and chimney stack? Just the fireplace?

And the next question is the window cavity's, should these be filled with an expanding foam to stop drafts getting behind the boards prior to adhesive the boards?

i have done boarding but didn't know about laying a top and bottom bead of adhesive to help combat drafting so i will definitely be doing that.

there's a few other things id like to ask but will get the pictures up first!

Thanks!

Have the windows recently been replaced? Have they got gaps in between the frames and the walls?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for replays.

Ceiling was rafting plaster. Never seen such a mess. I thought taking the plaster off was bad but, the dust from abouve was insaine. Don't regret it though!

There used to be a fireplace in the bedroom. I'mbricking it up then over boarding it but would like to not have a vent. Can I put one in the chimney in the loft?

Windows are first versions of upvc, they are getting changed before boarding as it's easy. They are fixed and foamed no gaps

Heres the pictures. you can see where there is no insulation. if i should put any there, do you think i should use the rolled up stuff or insulation board? as i understand you dont want any insulation touching the tiles or stopping air getting through?

also you see the window cavity. bricks are blocking in the sides and down where the window sill would be there's just mortar in there bridging both courses together like it's just fell in there and gone off. should i clean it out?

IMAG0509.jpg
IMAG0516.jpg
IMAG0517.jpg

Anyone point me in the right direction with my insulation querys? Looking to move onto boarding but not sure what to do. I'm still thinking silver backed foam board in the tight gaps in roof. Not sure what to put in the window cavity.

Make sure you put a VCL under the glass fibre, on top of the plasterboard.
FWIW The angled part of your ceiling is called a "sceiling".
Frank

oh pants. theprinceofdarkness,

i have just seen your post regards the VCL. i have already got the board up onto the joists in the ceiling. wich means i have not done this!! what options do i have now? have i got to pull it all down? its not plastered so i could take each board down if theres a way i could foil it and put it back up?

If you used foil backed plasterboard you should be OK. Else its just a risk that condensation will gradually occur in the void and drip down. This will saturate your glass fibre so it is not insulating any more so the effect will then appear as mould on the inside. The drips would also rot any wood work. Depending on your roofing, if it is old fashioned and drafty it will dry it out. if it has a felt sarking cloth, then its very dangerous as these sweat profusely as they are not permeable to air.
If you have not plastered I would take it all down and install some VCL, its cheap but a s*d to use because it is so flimsy, seal the joints with tape.
Frank

hi again prince, thanks for posting to both my threads. i have taken it down bit by bit and done it with celotex stuff between the board and lagging as i didn't have the foil backed type. but in the sloped parts i wouldnt of been able to get both lagging and insulation board so i opted to just put the celotex in. i was worried the loft lagging would press against the tiles in those areas. There was nothing in those parts originally anyway

it is indeed the old type of cold loft (slate and no felt)

So thanks for stopping me there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back