Plasterboard flanges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this right? Socket once screwed in isn't flush like it would be with a drylining box. Is this to allow for plaster skimming?

15682907635238017664624358602474.jpg

20190912_131402.jpg

20190912_131549.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes that’s the idea. Friction holds the box in place until you install your socket front then the socket and box clamp either side of the plasterboard.

In reality however, you’ll try and push your socket back and the box will fall out and you’ll lose the little flanges down the cavity and you’ll get really angry on about your 4th attempt. Truly awful product and something I will never use.

Sponsored Links
In reality however, you’ll try and push your socket back and the box will fall out and you’ll lose the little flanges down the cavity and you’ll get really angry on about your 4th attempt. Truly awful product and something I will never use.

Yeah, I just predicted that outcome based on the test fit I just did on a spare bit of board. :cry:

Why don't they make drylining boxes for triple sockets?!

Think I'll use a pattress box instead. Not a fan of surface mounting, but its going to be behind a tv unit so won't really be seen.

Last edited:
Use Gripfill or similar to glue the flanges to the box - allow to set - and then the flanges to the plasterboard.

Loop cord through the box holes so you can pull it forward. Knock out the cable holes first.

Or ditch the 3-gang socket and fit a 2+1 plasterboard box with a double and single gang socket in it.
Clicky

How would the wiring work in that... existing cable into the double, then a short length from the double into a single? This existing socket is a spur off the ring main, is that ok?

If it's a spur off the ring, you could fuse it down to 13A then two sockets is no issue, or use 4milli cable.

OR, get a triple CONVERTA or CONVERTER socket, which is designed to fit over a double or single flush box.

Check which box you need before cutting a hole in the wall.

OR, get the triple metal box, locate a wooden stud (upright), notch it out with a hammer and chisel, and screw box to it.

Because they're not a standard accessory.
I'm not really sure what a 'standard accessory' is. I would have thought that a more credible explanation is that triple sockets are not a commonly used accessory, such that the market for related 'dry-lining boxes' would probably be too small to be of commercial interest to manufacturers/suppliers.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not really sure what a 'standard accessory' is. I would have thought that a more credible explanation is that triple sockets are not a commonly used accessory, such that the market for related 'dry-lining boxes' would probably be too small to be of commercial interest to manufacturers/suppliers.

Kind Regards, John
Show me where BS 1363 defines any such accessory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back