Plasterboard in shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening -

Have built new stud wall in bathroom-to-be. Feel slightly reluctant to simply tile on top of Plasterboard to form shower area, in case the board fails long term due to damp.

Anyone have any views on (eg) sealing the board with something like Thompsons Waterseal, or any similar product, prior to tiling?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a waterproof plasterboard especially for tiling on to . It is called AQUA PANEL and B&Q do it but it is not cheap.

I did a similar job about 8 years ago - and I sealed the plasterboard before tiling in the shower area. The tiles are still there to this day, and no sign of any water getting into the wall. The tiler was a bit bemused though when he turned up to tile a slightly 'glossy' plasterboard wall!

Thanks for replies so far. I'll take a look at Aquapanel. 'Anonymous' - what did you use to seal your boards?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
As the Aquapanel boards are themselves waterproof they do not need sealing.You just tile straight on to them.

Yes, understood - I assumed the previous posting referred to sealing some 'ordinary' boards, not 'Aquapanel'. Would appreciate clarification, since you're right, the Aquapanel boards are a bit costly !

Thanks Again -

Merry Christmas.

[Edited by cjgarlick on 22-12-2002 at 10:13 AM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back