Plasterboard Loft Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the process of refurbishing my loft conversion which is really dated (no idea when it was built). I've removed the existing plasterboard walls and ceilings, removed the mineral wool insulation (in some areas there was barely any), and stripped it back to the exposed rafters, studs and chipboard flooring.

I've bought PIR insulation, cut and fitted it between the studs and rafters, and over-boarded with 25mm PIR to form a secondary layer (my vapour barrier).

I now need to decide what plasterboard to use. As I've gone with PIR insulation, while the room will be thermally better-off, noise reduction isn't as good as with mineral wool. Considering the age of the construction, I'm torn between lining with standard plasterboard and acoustic plasterboard.

Looking at the specs, acoustic is considerably heavier and I'm concerned the structure wouldn't happily support the extra weight once the room has been furnished. Standard plasterboard would be okay, except I only want to do this once, and would prefer a quieter space for sleeping / working etc.

I've been quoted £480 for a structural survey to determine the likely maximum weight the structure can support. But that is 2x the total price of standard plasterboard, or 1x acoustic plasterboard that I'll need to order. The wall and ceilings add up to roughly 55m2, so about 20 sheets of 2.4 x 1.2m boards will do it.

I don't want to be paying out for inspection when the structure will clearly support that weight, so I'm looking for reassurance from anyone that has experience on this subject. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate hearing it. Thank you

Sponsored Links
If the loft conversion has been properly done (structurally) then they'll be no problem using acoustic boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back