Plasterboard onto bare wall???

k4p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

This is my first post....i'm a total DIY novice so take it easy.

Ok.....i am getting some work done to a wall. The current state of the wall: it is exposed down to the bare bricks. My plasterer plans to use adhesive to stick plasterboard onto the wall. He will then plaster over the top.

Is this the best approach???

Previously the wall was covered by some sort of cement mix which had then been plastered. This seemed to give a much more solid finish...should this be done again?

Sponsored Links
time and mess are factors here, ideally your spread should have offered you either option, dot and dab is quicker and less messy but not the most durable finish, render and skim is a much more durable hard wearing finish but requires MUCH greater skill to execute!

more time = more cost

This doesnt mean that he should have offered either option to the homeowner.

If you dont mind D&D, like the fella, get on with him, pleased with his standard of work and happy with the price then there is no problem :)

Sponsored Links
Is this the best approach???
It's a suitable method to use, whether it is the best approach it is hard to say.
Cost and time constraints are a factor.
Once the boards are up and plaster is finished, you wont visually know any different.

What room is the wall in?

Dot & Dab is certainly the quickest & cheapest option but a render/plaster base + skim as original is the best. Correctly done, D&D will look just as good but it’s not so hard wearing & if the boards are not close fixed, the wall will sound hollow when tapped; I’ve also know holes to appear after furniture has been carelessly pushed into it due to some cheapskate sub-standard fixing 9.5mm boards instead of 12.5mm. It rather depends on what you want & if you want to spend more on the traditional finish but if your spread hasn’t offered it, there is a chance that he’s just a “skimmer” & doesn’t have the skills to do it anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back