Plasterboard wallplug load recommendations in ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been searching but can't find guide or table advising how much load plasterboard wallplugs can take in ceiling. As force pulling directly down I can assume it would be less than published figures for walls

I'm putting up a flush light fitting
The ceiling is plasterboard
Fitting is 1.3kg which is not very heavy and there will be 3 screws.
There is no access to floor space above
And there are no beams in location

For heavier I would definitely use Molly bolts (don't like using toggles)
But would rawlplug uno (red or brown) be ok for 1.3kg

Sponsored Links
You really need a hollow wall anchor for this, I think - just to be on the safe side! standard rawlplugs probably will work if they are fixed perfectly but they aren't idea in this situation.
John :)

I just called Rawlplug
they said they quote lowest safe figures. The figures apply to plasterboard ceiling where there is pull load. But they quote them for perpendicular load off walls too even though you should get more.
They suggest for plasterboard ceiling
yellow uno plug - 5KG
red uno plug - 6KG
brown - 7kg
And those figures are for a single fixing.

I was surprised that they say yellow will take so much.
Anyway im well within limits with 3 rawlplug unos

You are well within their load range.......so long as the screw used expands them sufficiently, and the drilled hole is exactly to size and clean.
Take a tip if you like, and stick them in with some adhesive such as PVA or No Nails.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Uno are the best plugs out there.

The metal self drive plasterboard fixings would easily hold that.
Agreed. That's what I'd use - and installation should ideally be done with the appropriate Rawlplug/Spit-type setting tool for the best holding power. I've used these quite a bit over the years in shop fits and the like and properly installed they can take quite some shifting. I wouldn't dare install anything hung vertically on any type of standard wall plug - for a start unless you've installed the plasterboard yourself you may not know how thick it is (and there is a heck of a difference in how much weight a 1/4in thick PB and a 1/2in thick PB will hold). I've seen far too many failed examples of these in PB to trust them at all

I use the small nylon self drive plasterboard fixing, being smaller they allow fixings to be closer together and take much smaller screws [often found in light fixings etc]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back