Plasterboarding and filling joints...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put up plasterboard (dot and dab route i think) and will be using the tape and filling in the joints.

That part is fine, but what I'm confused about is how do I finish off a small boxed part of the wall that comes out from floor to ceiling?

I could fix the plasterboard around the box, but I don't know how to get the joint to come out square and smooth enough to decorate afterwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd skim it rather than tape and joint.

I've never taped and jointed (and don't think I ever will) so unfortunately can't offer any guidance on how best to handle the boxing in.

Will you be papering over it or just painting?

regards

Fred

P.S. There seems to be a specific plastering section now so a mod may move this thread over.

^woody^ said:
You would fit a corner angle bead to get a square edge

Aye, but the whole point of taping and jointing woody is to avoid skimming. If you shove an angle bead on there then you've no choice but to skim in order to hide the bead.

regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
cheers for the replies

i was gonna get the wall skimmed but there is no budget for that after i got the quote for the carpets... :eek:

i found something on b&q site "Blue Hawk Plasterboard Jointing Tool"
that seems like the tool for the job...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back