Plasterer caught nosing around house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using a plasterer a the moment and today I had to go to work and leave him alone in the house.

I have some webcams at home and one of them caught him nosing around the living room - there was no need for him to be in there and he is quite clearly nosing about.

I don't know if he has done the same across the whole house though.

What do I do? - I don't think anything has been disturbed by him, but I feel let down as he was recommended by a friend. I want the job finished - do I let him back to finish the job? Am I over-reacting to his snooping? What advice can you give for this type of situation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not nice & I understand your feelings but what did he seem like? Maybe he was just curios during his tea break; was he nosing at specific stuff? Worst case is he could be sussing out what to nick but that’s a bit of a sad view & I would tend to go with the innocent explanation. I had a guy here doing work over 5 days when we were on holiday & I gave him the run of the house; no problems with anything going missing at all (he’d be stupid really) bit I know he took the p**s & slept on the sofa bed when he was supposed to be booked into a hotel & paying for it! Nothing was amiss though & he did a good job so I didn’t make a fuss. I would just let him know that you have taped CCTV without getting specific (so he can guess you’ve seen him!); if he’s thinking of doing you over it will make him think twice!

lock your wife's underwear drawer.

we've had at least one person on here who liked to rummage through them and dance about with a pair of knickers on his head.

It does no harm to lock internal doors of rooms that you don't wish him to go into. If they don't have locks, you can take off the door handle, remove the spindle, and screw the handle back. Not burglar proof but it wil perhaps discourage idle snooping.

I believe it is quite common for people to poke about in other folks homes if they are unobserved.

Sponsored Links
Webcams - Jebus!

IMO If you leave someone alone in your house you are accepting that they have access to the whole place. I think it's human nature to be a bit nosey so as long as he wasn't been too intrusive (I.e. opening draws, reading letters, etc) then what's the harm done.

Give him the benefit of the doubt... he could have been looking for a pen or something to write down details for another job.

Why would someone want webcams in their own house? I think it's you that has the problem. I will usually wander into the next room to see the type of decor that they have so I can tell what finish they are looking for. I also look at pictures and photos that are on show - that's not snooping.
If I found someone filming me I'd walk out there and then and contact the data protection people. What right do you have to snoop on him? What if he had plaster in his undies and decided to clear it? It's YOU that's in the wrong.

Thanks, NOT, for the uncosntructive comments re webcams. The reason there are cameras is purely to catch on camera any potential burglars following a burglary at my mother's in the past year.

See this link which I think completely justifies it -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4272041.stm

Protecting my property with the intention of a conviction if robbed is not perverted, in my opinion.

To Joe-90 and noseall, I actually think taking the time to write libelous remarks is more of a personality disorder than trying to ID a thief.

I'm extremely glad I caught this on camera as I always had my doubts about leaving tradesmen free roam of the house - my suspicions have been confirmed.

If Joe-90 and noseall are in the trade, would you mind leaving your business details so potential customers know not to employ people with such a lack of regard for people's privacy.

Thanks, NOT, for the uncosntructive comments re webcams. The reason there are cameras is purely to catch on camera any potential burglars following a burglary at my mother's in the past year.

See this link which I think completely justifies it -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/4272041.stm

Protecting my property with the intention of a conviction if robbed is not perverted, in my opinion.

To Joe-90 and noseall, I actually think taking the time to write libelous remarks is more of a personality disorder than trying to ID a thief.

I'm extremely glad I caught this on camera as I always had my doubts about leaving tradesmen free roam of the house - my suspicions have been confirmed.

If Joe-90 and noseall are in the trade, would you mind leaving your business details so potential customers know not to employ people with such a lack of regard for people's privacy.

Weirdo!

FREAK!

'tis you who needs reporting, pervert

I repeat

I actually think taking the time to write libelous remarks is more of a personality disorder than trying to ID a thief

As I don't want to drag myself down to near your level I have blocked any of your replies.

I guess I won't ever see your 6000th useless post

boo frikkin hoo, adios.

I employed a builder once called "Arnold Lane" he had a strange hobby :eek: nicked me washing ..left handprints on the tall mirror in the hall :eek: His M8`s were strange too Long haired ...one called Floyd and the other Pinky:cool: Dunno what happened to them :?:

Did he sing a lot?

When you say he nicked your washing...

what style of clothes did you wear at the time?

If I'd found someone snooping around my home I'd crack them over the head with a shovel & bury them in the back garden.
Seriously. Done it before, would do it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back