Plasterer caught nosing around house

balfralf –

I think you have upset some of the regular contributors on this forum because they get judged by people like you every time they go to a new job – hiding the silverware, locking away their daughters, etc etc!

Most of these people are as honest as the day is long – just look at how much time joe-90, noseall, etc spend helping out other with the diy problems…hardly the actions of crooks or perves!

I'm extremely glad I caught this on camera as I always had my doubts about leaving tradesmen free roam of the house - my suspicions have been confirmed.

Just because you’ve had one bad experience doesn’t mean you should tar all tradesman with the same brush.

You clearly had your suspicions about this person before you left them alone, otherwise you wouldn’t have watched lots of webcam footage to catch him at it.

Therefore, you must accept that you’re at fault for what happened to you. If I had doubts about the trustworthiness of anyone in my house (not just tradesmen – friends, babysitters, etc) then I simply would not leave them there unsupervised.

Sponsored Links
KingAndy2nd - I realise that it is not true that all tradespeople are untrustworthy, but this is the 1st time I ever left a tradesperson alone in the house.

The problem was that I never planned to leave him in the house, ever. He advised beforehand, it would take a few hours on day 1, hence I booked a 1/2 day.

He arrived about 9.45am and after 1/2 hour chatting and 1h45mins work he was on his lunchbreak at 12 - I had to leave him alone from 1-3pm.

So I disagree I was at fault leaving him alone, I had no choice, if he'd got his few hours in earlier, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to nose about.

Secondly, to clarify, I didn't have to trawl through loads of images, the camera only emails me when it is triggered, the evidence came to me, as it were - I was dissapointed when I saw him to say the least.

Lastly, as regards longstanding contributiors, surely they should be most aware that there are standards to maintain and should know better and should spend their forum time writing constructive replies.

Using web cams to catch burglars is a great idea, using them to spy on tradesmen,cleaners,babysitters etc. isn't. Some people aren't in the slightest bit nosey, but most people are. I think its fair to say that nobody likes being spied on, nobody likes people snooping about in their property, and nobody likes being caught being nosey. If I had your cam. system I would probably get paranoid every time I got a text. I'd rather have good locks, doors, windows, etc. As it happens I know two guys whos knowledge on such things is second to none ;)

Sponsored Links
I can't say that I use webcams inside the house, but I certainly have several setup around the outside as that should capture anyone entering or leaving with anything they shouldn't - can't see a need for them inside the house, that is a little too much imho.

Last guy I had in to do some work (3 day boiler replacement) actually left all his tools behind at the end of each day, I must say I was tempted to have a peek and see what sort of kit he had, but thought that it's still someones private stuff and I should kept my nose to myself.

He showed some trust in me, so I was fine leaving him alone in the house when I needed to go out, I guess I'll never know if he tried any of my pants on his head... poor old him if he did :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back