Plasterers preparations.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning all,

What is the preferred method of covering metal back boxes for a plasterer?

I have had my bedroom ring extended from 1 to 5 doubles, the ring is maintained with wago connectors and I have the plasterer coming tomorrow. I have used masking tape before but I've also seen the cardboard boxes you can use to cover the opening.

Which would you recommend to get the best finish?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have set the boxes so the plasterer can spread flush with the box edge you sould not need to do anything.
A large dollop of plaster on a choc block during plastering can trip the RCD, but you probably won't suffer this as Wago's aren't as open as a bit of choc block.
You may want to put a bit of cardboard in to protect the joint, if you want to.

Don't forget to tell the plasterer that the cables are live!

The cardboard box things look good, but you can't get them in quantities less than 50 (I don't think) if he's a good plasterer he will hopefully clear any plaster out of the boxes when he's done. It's much easier to do as the plaster is just starting to go off than when it's set hard.

Try and get the cables tucked into the box too, so they're easy to skim over

Many thanks for your replies. The cable are neatly away in the boxes. I'll make sure he's reminded they are live as well. When I had my front room done I could here the fizzing from outside as he was dropping plaster on the choc Blocks. Obviously that plasterer isn't coming back.

Sponsored Links
I made my own out of the kind of plastic used for document binders. Mine were just squares which just fitted inside the box and had two holes to put the screws in. For just the odd one, why not cut and fold a piece of cardboard?

upload_2015-12-6_13-46-7.png
There are special systems don't think I would bother but they are made.

Many thanks for your replies. The cable are neatly away in the boxes. I'll make sure he's reminded they are live as well. When I had my front room done I could here the fizzing from outside as he was dropping plaster on the choc Blocks. Obviously that plasterer isn't coming back.

You can't really blame the plasterer for that. The connector blocks should be well wrapped with tape as a minimum. Ideally power should be off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back