Preparing electrics for plasterer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plasterer coming out in the next week to plaster a porch, it has a porch light and light switch in it which I need to remove and make safe, then reinstate once the job is done. The house was re-wired a few years back and I know all down stairs light are on the same ring circuit.

Would it be sufficient for me to turn off the ring circuit, remove the light fitting and then tape/chocbox the bare wire ends until work is finished and then reinstate?

The plasterer will be in the house of two mornings, so I will be looking to switch the ring circuit back on between visits.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response, the cables are flush currently, was just looking at a suitable way to make the cable ends safe.

So Chocbox in a sealed bag of some sort to save any water getting in would be the way to go, would ensure the ring circuit for the light was off as well.

You will need to ensure that you make a note of the way the wiring is currently connected/terminated to your lamp and switch and replicate that with the terminal block(s) then put into the chocbox(s).
Otherwise some of your other lights may not work when turn the power back on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, would this still be an issue if the wiring was terminated in the chocbox for the duration of the work?

Read the Wiki articles on how lighting circuits are wired. They are not rings, and if you break the circuit, be it looped through the switches or the lights, then everything downstream of the porch light will stop working.

Thanks, would this still be an issue if the wiring was terminated in the chocbox for the duration of the work?
Just to clarify - a chocbox is a plastic box (not waterproof by the way) that will hold (normally) a terminal strip - some have them built in.
So just make sure you provide some form of cover for the chocbox and I would leave it above the surface so the plasterer can see and work around it.
The important point regarding correctly terminating the existing cable is that depending on how the circuit is wired you may have a live/neutral loop in and out wiring system.
If this is not correctly continued via your terminal strip then lights after the terminal strip may not work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back