Plastering kitchen from brick.

That's the key to taking the dabs out, tap/knock them out, gently, don't try to pull them out towards you, as you'll cause damage to the screed you're setting up. Just give them a gentle tap to the left or right if put on horizontal, or tap them up or down if put on vertical. Taking them out this way doesn't cause the same damage around the wooden dabs/dots,, (I call them dots, but it's just the same). I've also put them on with a little cement in the mix to tighten them in quicker and corner beads too, but as Roy says, do it the right way when learning. ;)

Sponsored Links
Marsaday - have you got a decent plaster mixer?

You'll be surprised how much plaster you'll use/need when floating.

Years ago, our old labourer used to mix up 2 or 3, 1cwt bags of Carlite browning at a time in a wooden trough, (plywood), using a garden rake to mix it through, pulling it backwards and forwards until it was thoroughly mixed.. That'll be 100 to150kg in todays weight.

Just to add l was lucky as l had the coving and skirtings to use as datums to set my dabs to. But you will have to create a datum to work to. You will have to set a string line up across the wall near the top is best. Then plumb down so you know that all your services will be covered by the plaster.Like steve mentioned you may have to chase your boxes into the wall because you will find that you will be using a lot of muck to bring your wall out. Do all that prep first before you set your datums up...
;)

Sponsored Links
Some great info here gents. roy c, love the album. Can you tell me what dimension you cut your dabs to, and what do you use to make them, is it lathes?

keyplayer";p="2878415 said:
Some great info here gents. roy c, love the album. Can you tell me what dimension you cut your dabs to, and what do you use to make them, is it lathes Hi k.p. l usually make them out of 10mm ply or 10mm timber , cut them to 4"long and about 1"to inch and half wide...you can make them smaller or bigger but l find at that size you can set them in more accurate .You have to take your time getting them right then everything else is a lot easier.. ;)

I am doing surface mounted boxes so i just need to cover up the cables.

I will be doing a wall 2.5 x 2.4m in size first so will mix up my own plaster myself. Then i have my big bucket to mix up the multifinish. There is no rush like a pro for me, so i will take my time.

Then i will do the opposite wall which is much smaller and has most of its plaster on anyway. More a case of skimming that one. Next day i will do the breeze wall and the wall with the door and windows on it.

I was planning on screwing my battons to the wall. IS this the way you all do it ? And i prob will use Roy's method of using the small battons instead of full lengths.

I am doing surface mounted boxes so i just need to cover up the cables.

I will be doing a wall 2.5 x 2.4m in size first so will mix up my own plaster myself. Then i have my big bucket to mix up the multifinish. There is no rush like a pro for me, so i will take my time.

Then i will do the opposite wall which is much smaller and has most of its plaster on anyway. More a case of skimming that one. Next day i will do the breeze wall and the wall with the door and windows on it.

I was planning on screwing my battons to the wall. IS this the way you all do it ? And i prob will use Roy's method of using the small battons instead of full lengths.
l would seriously think about setting you boxes in the wall. It may take you a bit longer but l think you might regret it later on if you dont.l dont know anyone who surface mounts boxes nowadays....Only in garages or workshops or on none plastered walls...

I have done most of the walls this week. Here is a pic.

View media item 66914
Can anyone tell me how long you wait before you apply the skim coat ? Can you wait too long for example ? I did notice i got a few bubbles forming on my skim coat while finishing it off. So i would pop then with the trowel and paint water into them. This helped get rid of them. Were these bubbles because the wall was drying out too quick ?

The finished job is good, but most will be hidden by a kitchen anyway.

I didn't use any dabs made from wood, but just created 3 screeds myself out of the bonding coat. It has worked ok. The wall is not bang on plumb, but is good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back