Plastering on bricks help? (with picture of the wall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had mold on my wall and I tried to get rid of it by cleaning the wall but it kept coming back. So I had to remove the plaster to see if something was causing the mold to grow back. Nothing was behind the wall as the picture shows. I know now that my windows need to be refitted as they are causing the mold, phew.

Anyway here is the picture:
RlTFL.jpg

Just wondering has does one fill this in?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
You need to remove all loose plaster, dirt, dust etc.
Then there are number of ways to do this.
You could use a one coat plaster
or you could use a base coat and then a two coat finish and blend the finish in to the existing plaster.

You need to remove all loose plaster, dirt, dust etc.
Then there are number of ways to do this.
You could use a one coat plaster
or you could use a base coat and then a two coat finish and blend the finish in to the existing plaster.

Personally I would remove any boss plaster then ova the bricks and straighten with browning, when set I would then cost out with finish coat

Okay, so has anyone got a step by step guide how to do this then :eek: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Well aside from falling foul of the lime brigade, here is what I would advise a DIYer to do if there are no signs of damp anywhere -

brush the wall down and give it a bit of a dampening
apply a coat of diluted PVA
Go to bed for the night
Apply another coat of PVA and then apply perhaps 10 - 15 mm of one coat plaster, leave this harden up a bit and then apply another coat, hopefully it wont be more than 10 to 15mm this time, rule it off flush with the wall. Once that had firmed up apply a coat of easy fill and leave it to dry, sand it back a little and apply a (hopefully final) coat of easy fill and once thats dry sand it until your happy. you can keep applying easyfill and giving it a little sand till your entirely satisfied!

how much would this cost and how long would it take, if I got a pro in?

Don't use PVA or browning, you will regret it. You only have to wet down the wall before you plaster. Use hardwall.

Don't use PVA or browning, you will regret it. You only have to wet down the wall before you plaster. Use hardwall.

Just out of interest, why wouldnt you use browning?
Ive never used hardwall so couldnt recommend it.

For op, you shouldnt need a pro for a little job like that. But it shouldnt take longer than a few hours. Id put a wee bit rapid set cement in with the straightening so ot takes up quick. Once thats set then an hour tops to finish the patch.

Just out of interest, why wouldnt you use browning?
Ive never used hardwall so couldnt recommend it.

For op, you shouldnt need a pro for a little job like that. But it shouldnt take longer than a few hours. Id put a wee bit rapid set cement in with the straightening so ot takes up quick. Once thats set then an hour tops to finish the patch.

I don't use browning because it's got very little resistance to moisture and efflorescence. It's not good around moisture at all.

Spotting the rad and knowing people tend to put wash on rads to dry it would soon turn the area black. Not sure if it's an outside wall either, browning on outside wall (pathetically in old property) tends to fail and go black. It retains moisture DM. Best suited in modern builds.

With peaps on this one.

Browning is lovely to mix and use, but has not got any 'body' in it, and soaks up moisture.

With peaps on this one.

Browning is lovely to mix and use, but has not got any 'body' in it, and soaks up moisture.

You also find that the further up north you go the more it fails, down to the wetter colder weather.

Was just interested as ive only ever used that or S+C for patching/straightening.
Is harwall just the same but more resistant to moisture and is it applied the same was as browning. Wouldnt mind using it if i knew how as i hate browning.

Was just interested as ive only ever used that or S+C for patching/straightening.
Is harwall just the same but more resistant to moisture and is it applied the same was as browning. Wouldnt mind using it if i knew how as i hate browning.

Problem is that hardwall, bonding and browning has a problem with moisture but hardwall seems to be better and is high impact, browning is the worse of the lot. In bathrooms and kitchen/washrooms I wouldn't use either. It's more of an issue in older builds

What I do with small patch areas is mix 50/50 sand and thistle board finish for the backing then skim. I keep out of date finish for this purpose. It sets quick as well ;)

Okay so..

1.clean up the wall.
2.put water around and on the wall.
3.wait for how long?
4.mix up browning and then apply. OR should I use One Coat Plaster?
5.wait for how long?
6.apply another coat.
7.finish with multi finish.

??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back