Plastering on deep texture wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the best way to get rid of deep textured wallpaper that's been painted over several times? I am guessing wallpaper stripper won't be much help because of the thick paints?
I've read it somewhere if there's no bubble on wall when I spray water then it can be skimmed over? is it true?

Sponsored Links
TY SFK!
There are at least 3 paint layers I can see. Will using paint removal to remove the paint first a good way to start?

TY SFK!
There are at least 3 paint layers I can see. Will using paint removal to remove the paint first a good way to start?
Don’t bother, score and wet/ steam it, that’ll get the paper off, together with whatever paint layers are on top.
Btw, I use an old 12” trowel to work the paper off, prefer it to a stripper, but that may just be me.

Sponsored Links
As 23vc said, don't use paint stripper on walls. Won't make any difference and may soak into plaster making later painting issues.
Score it, wet it or steam it and scrape.

(Also have simply tryed pulling corners and see if you can get a complete sheet to come off. This can also be tried after setting and steaming. You might be lucky).

you can buy a steamer for £20-25 from Screwfix.
Buy a scoring tool- they are worth it. Mine is a three "wheeled" clover leaf shape
Dif works and using warm water to presoak helps.

Steamers are great but be careful not to keep it too long in one area. It can cause the skim coat to blow/blister.

Use the Zinsser scratcher then Zinsser Dif to soak and loosen - it works really well

Does Zinsser Dif work well with paints on it too? looks like a very good option to consider.

Steamers are great but be careful not to keep it too long in one area. It can cause the skim coat to blow/blister.

This is what I was afraid, 3 paints means I will have to put steamer on the wall for quite long.

This is what I was afraid, 3 paints means I will have to put steamer on the wall for quite long.

As 23vc - don’t worry about the number of coats of paint.
So long as it is well scored (either with a special tool or otherwise), the steam gets through quick enough to soften the paper to scrape it off, without harm to the plaster underneath.
Had similar last couple of weeks doing a bedroom with a particularly stubborn lining paper that had multiple coats of silk emulsion. Managed to shift it with little damage underneath.

You have to apply common sense with a steamer. So long as you can scratch the paint enough to allow steam to penetrate - possibly do a bigger area than normal but coming back to give the first area time to penetrate , generally the paper below will be very dry and will act as a wick over time.
So rather than concentrating on an area of 1 sq M do 3, moving a LOT to avoid too much steam in one place

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of deep textured wallpaper that's been painted over several times? I am guessing wallpaper stripper won't be much help because of the thick paints?
I've read it somewhere if there's no bubble on wall when I spray water then it can be skimmed over? is it true?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back