Plastering on old concrete walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, i would like to convert this space into a gaming room. However i have no idea how to plaster/never done it before this.
I was thinking about using plasterboards but it would create more problems tham it would solve, the wall is very old and it has pebbles and stones in it, when i drill into the wall it crumbles so i've decided im going to plaster all of it.

How should i prep the wall?
How should i remove the paint? (do i need to?)
Do i need to do anything to the wall before i start plastering it?
Are there different types of plaster for different types of walls? (what do i need for this wall?)
Any advice even the basic stuff would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys =D

Sponsored Links
Seriously, if you haven't plastered before, i really cant see you completing this job, but i certainly do admire your enthusiasm, that said, if your mad enough to have a pop at it, then i'll be mad enough to try and explain things.

Firstly, its probably best to identify what the wall surface actually is, from your photo it looks as though the outer walls are either sand and cement or sand and lime render, but it could equally be that it is a pebble dash or grit dash. That obviously takes us back in time building wise and makes lime wash inside a real possibility.

The interior walls. look to be lime wash, if it it is, your not going to get render or anything else to stick to it. So can you help to identify what exactly is covering those interior walls?

I would need photo's with more detail to try to gauge what it is, but for now you can just try to scrape off the white coating on those walls, if it is lime wash it will shell off in layers at least in some places. Usually the old buildings have had coat after coat after coat of lime wash over the years and it usually shells off in places really easily, if scraped with a pointing or brick trowel.

You could also give the white coating a tap with a hammer or axe, again that would make the lime wash shell of also.

Is that building an old live stock barn? If it is, that could also be a problem, if your doing the down stairs. Animal dung and urine create a bit of a problem, though not insurmountable.

I'll pop in here tomorrow, if you have done the test let me know how it goes and if you can get up close up detailed pics of the walls i'll take a look at them.

Looking at the age of that building, it is highly unlikely that you have concrete walls, unless they have been shuttered and poured in recent years, which i very much doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back