Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered before - did a small search but not as thorough as I usually do.

Hi, I’m about to have my living room totally re-plastered. I also need to have a total re-wire at some point in the future. I’ll be getting a mate in to do that – he’s currently doing an electrician’s course so he should have all the qualifications etc.

Rather than getting nice new plaster and then breaking into it, I want to sink the sockets into the wall in advance, drag the wires through, etc. A few questions though (my mate’s on holiday).

I’ve read that sockets should be about 18 inches off the ground. Is this correct?

Is there a limit to the number of sockets you can have in a room? I want to put two double sockets behind where the television will be, as well as a further four double sockets. The room size is about 14 foot by 12 foot.

Would it be wise to take lots of photos during the work so that, hopefully, my mate will then sign it off? I won’t be connecting any wires – merely putting boxes in, wires into a loop in the boxes, wire covers between the boxes and the floor void, grommets and basically forming a mini ring main for him to connect into the consumer unit.

Any advice, concerns, confirmations?

Many thanks

Gordon

Sponsored Links
Why not just sink the boxes and then use pieces of plastic conduit between the box and under the floor etc (sunk in aswell) so your mate can pull the wires in at his leisure and he will know for certain it has been done right. What happens if you put all the cables in, have the room plastered and your mate is not happy with the wiring? Unless the house is a full refurbishment, or a new build the the new DDA heights do not apply, but it is a good idea to mount your sockets at these heights anyway (it saves bending further than you need to. especially when you get on a bit :D ) The new height specifies a minimum height of 600mm above finished floor level (to the bottom of the socket).
There is no limit to the amount of sockets on a ring aslong as it covers a floor area of 100m² or less.
However many sockets you think you need will probably not be enough. It is better to have too many than not enough.

HTH

RF Lighting said:
The new height specifies a minimum height of 600mm above finished floor level (to the bottom of the socket).

I thought it was minimum of 450mm sockets, max 1200mm light switches, or has it changed again??

selfbuildy said:
RF Lighting said:
The new height specifies a minimum height of 600mm above finished floor level (to the bottom of the socket).

I thought it was minimum of 450mm sockets, max 1200mm light switches, or has it changed again??

450 & 1200 is correct. Typo by RF.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the answers. It also means I've a bit more time before the plasterer arrives.

G

I’m being a bit thick here. Was discussing my plans at lunchtime with a colleague and said I was off to Wickes to pick up boxes – but probably not the conduit as it comes in 3m lengths and I wouldn’t be able to get thought the revolving doors at work!!!

Anyhow, he mentioned that he would have used flexible conduit.

So, I’ve purchased my boxes, some Wickes 20mm flexible conduit and some associated conduit adaptors. Would have been much cheaper at Screwfix but there you go.

Can someone confirm whether you would have gone down the flexible conduit or rigid(ish) conduit route? Also, is it advisable to secure the conduit to the wall during its 12 inch drop between the metal box and the skirting prior to plastering?

Many thanks

Gordon

Will work as well but I'm sure it cost you a whole lot more to buy :/
I would stick a fixing in there at each drop...

Flexible conduit is fine but as jinj said it is more expensive, an also some brands are not smooth inside so can sometimes be a bit arkward to push cables through (but a draw wire should sort this).

As for the mounting height of sockets :oops:
Sorry. (don't know where 600mm came from)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back