Plastic backbox repair

A slightly larger thread wood screw will work too, and it's self-tapping.

Sponsored Links
Using wood screws or alternatives often do not seat properly into the socket screw recesses, which tend to be brass, poor fitting screws can cause the Plug not to seat properly in the socket

Using wood screws or alternatives often do not seat properly into the socket screw recesses, which tend to be brass, poor fitting screws can cause the Plug not to seat properly in the socket

Grind, file, sand the screw head into shape then. I was only sanding some machine screws to remove the sharp cut edges yesterday using a dremel mini drum sander. It might not look pretty but works, and quick. If you want free and low effort, compromises have to be made.

Grind, file, sand the screw head into shape then. I was only sanding some machine screws to remove the sharp cut edges yesterday using a dremel mini drum sander. It might not look pretty but works, and quick. If you want free and low effort, compromises have to be made.
Yes thats true, a few times have filed down 4mm brass panhead machine screws to patch up loose sockets, it was more aimed at making the original poster aware

Sponsored Links

A 3mm countersunk wood screw head will sink in to the recess, unfortunately the thread will be too small to grip anything.

Thanks everyone for your really helpful replies. Lots of different ways to approach this it seems!

Will have a look at what I already have available and hopefully be successful using one of these approaches.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back