Plastic guttering straight to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
99DAB47C-415D-49BA-B80F-F927596098BE.jpeg
366F5FD2-56CB-4507-A72B-80A6835B52DB.jpeg

Hi all, little help needed here, I’m a complete beginner, so take it easy on me lol. I want to know if I can put plastic guttering straight to the brickwork, the toilet window opens but lowers down as it does, I’ve looked at the spike guttering but the walls are only one brick thick so would poke inside. The reason I need this is the whole of the garden is slabbed and when it rains it causes damp due to really clay soil. Was thinking of guttering to a water butt then hose down to the bottom of the garden, filling in the trench with pea gravel covered by the cloth stuff you can get. Would all this be possible? Cheers in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s a concrete roof sloping down right to left, that falls to a slabbed garden and causes damp inside toilet.

Hold a clip on the wall to see where the gutter would be - you really want the roof to drip into the middle of the gutter. If you have room, it would be better to screw lenghs of wooden battons or boards to the wall then mount the gutter on the wood. Get pressure treated if you can. This way you canmount the gutter clips where you want and maybe adjust them later without having to drill the wall many times.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, as it is the roof overhangs the wall and when I held the guttering up it would drip into the centre of the guttering. I was just not sure about if it could be put straight into the wall as every picture I’ve seen has it put on a fascia type board.

Nothing to stop you putting the gutter brackets directly onto the brickwork but you'll have to be exactly spot on with the fall....brackets aren't adjustable, hence dal5bands advice regarding the timber batten - even a 18mm thick piece would do.
Consider spraying the brickwork with a waterseal compound too - it soaks into the brickwork and does help repel penetrating damp.
John :)

The roof does not appear to protrude very much further out, than the brickwork. I suggest you buy a gutter bracket, or packet of and see if you can actually get the gutter under the lip of the roof, before getting too involved. The brackets hold the gutter out some way from the surface they are fixed to.

The top might need to be off, of the brown door to stop it hitting the gutter too.

"Mini" guttering might be a better option there.

Thanks for the replies, as it stands normal 112mm wide half round guttering would have the rain falling into its centre, but with cdbe’s reply a wooden batten with mini guttering might work with water seal compound sprayed to the brick beforehand. I will have to go measure and measure again to check if it will. It might also be a better option for over the window and shed door. Cheers guys.

be prepaird to pack out the brackets by a few mm
with wood screwed to the bricks it will average out any deviations on the surface
on plain brick if have say a 15mm dip with a middle bracket the guttering will twist and try to rotate so easier to reduce any dips

Big-all, so you reckon wooden batten would be better option?

Rob

not batons as such 4x1" planed or treated planed will be 20-21mm thick
you could stop it short off the doors or windows or reduce the size at the pinch points and only fix brackets on the full width sections

Cheers for that, I’ve now got a better idea of what to do. Appreciate your replies.

Hi all, just wanted to say thanks for all your help and advice, part 3 of my damp toilet floor problem is done and I’ve put up the guttering but Sod’s law it hasn’t rained since to test it out lol, only 2 more parts to do and I’m done for now (famous last words). Anyways, cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back