Plastic pipes and Isolation values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm changing my bathroom around i..e bath, sink , toilet all in new positions and the the old pipework needs to be replaced.
I have read several messages on here about Speedfit connections and plastic pipe not being as good a copper pipe/soldered connections. Is that the general concensus?

My boiler was replaced last year and having removed the floor boards to start this job, i've seen that the plumber used plastic pipes/connections to run the cold water from the bathroom to the boiler (in a cupboard in a bedroom) and again plastic pipes to run the hot water back to the bathroom (switching back to the old copper, before it feeds back downstairs to kitchen).

What are the benefits of me keeping the bathroom using copper pipes?
Would i not be best just to extend the existing plastic to/from the boiler, and add the required T and elbow joints i need to fit my bath/sink/toilet - and then convert into the old copper pipe to the kitchen ?

I have read horror stories on this forum about Speedfit connections leaking - but surely any pipe could leak? and taking precautions of making sure its a good fitting, using collet clips and covers should help too.

If i do go for the plastic speedfit connections, can i get isolating values for these pipes?

I would like to be able to isolate each of the bath/sink/toilet pipes and then connect to the flexi hose from the tap.

Sponsored Links
HI

use inserts on copper pipes so that when you insert pipe into fitting
it avoids crimping or damaging the black O ring.
special inserts designed for this :D

Sponsored Links
HI

ever seen JOHN GUEST quick fitting brochure ?

My thoughts too, but it's possible they've come up with something to protect the O ring from a sharp ended bit of copper pipe. Anything pipesliced would be ok though.

Hi

I'm changing my bathroom around i..e bath, sink , toilet all in new positions and the the old pipework needs to be replaced.
I have read several messages on here about Speedfit connections and plastic pipe not being as good a copper pipe/soldered connections. Is that the general concensus?

My boiler was replaced last year and having removed the floor boards to start this job, i've seen that the plumber used plastic pipes/connections to run the cold water from the bathroom to the boiler (in a cupboard in a bedroom) and again plastic pipes to run the hot water back to the bathroom (switching back to the old copper, before it feeds back downstairs to kitchen).

What are the benefits of me keeping the bathroom using copper pipes?
Would i not be best just to extend the existing plastic to/from the boiler, and add the required T and elbow joints i need to fit my bath/sink/toilet - and then convert into the old copper pipe to the kitchen ?

I have read horror stories on this forum about Speedfit connections leaking - but surely any pipe could leak? and taking precautions of making sure its a good fitting, using collet clips and covers should help too.

If i do go for the plastic speedfit connections, can i get isolating values for these pipes?

I would like to be able to isolate each of the bath/sink/toilet pipes and then connect to the flexi hose from the tap.

Now you've got plastic, you may as well continue in plastic. Rather than debate the pro's & con's of each and whilst there is an art to every task, I prefer to point out the following:

Copper, pulled bends, end feed fittings are for the skilled.
Copper, solder ring fittings are for the lower skilled.
Copper, push fit fittings are for the upper unskilled.
Plastic, push fit fittings are for the unskilled.

That said you're probably better off choosing a quality plastic barrier pipe/fittings than the worst copper left blasted with mapp gas and globules of powerflux.

My thoughts too, but it's possible they've come up with something to protect the O ring from a sharp ended bit of copper pipe. Anything pipesliced would be ok though.

mmmmm! I wonder if it's a file insert :LOL:

Keith.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back