Plastic piping loft - is plumber right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone could offer advice, thanks in advance.

I've had a new boiler and also had water tank in the loft / hot cylinder removed. Install went all ok, but in the loft, a plastic pipe was used to I believe connect the old water tank cold feed (not 100% sure)

Id asked originally if copper could be used as I've known friends who had issues with plastic leaking and we have had mice and squirrels in the past up there (chewing!)

Installer tells me it's unsafe to install copper in the loft and they are not allowed - is this correct?

The plastic pipe (connects to existing 22mm copper pipe in the loft and 15mm copper the other) is also not lagged and is not clipped (just laying on top of insulation / under some roof timber) and is about 2.5m in length ...should it be clipped/secured and lagged?

Just really want to avoid any future issues but don't feel I know enough to challenge (or whether he's right anyway!) Any advice really appreciated as other than this, I'm happy with the change

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Should be lagged and clipped,
some people don’t do hot work in lofts ( fire risk) but copper can be joined using other methods than soldering

Installer tells me it's unsafe to install copper in the loft and they are not allowed - is this correct?
In my opinion copper is perfectly safe in a loft.

The problem is the installer who solders joints in the loft without taking the necessary care to prevent his blow torch causing a fire.

Insurance companies may impose restrictions on the use of soldered joints in roof spaces but will ( in most cases ) accept compression fittings.

Nothing wrong with plastic if it is installed correctly.

As for rodent attacks....just put up a sign for them saying "keep off".

Sponsored Links
As the majority are saying, absolutely nothing wrong with using copper in the loft. His insurance may not cover him for hot works up there, if he has any.

Also plastic is absolutely fine but yes it can be attacked by vermin. Yes it should be clipped and at least under the insulation if not lagged itself. That's the risk right there if you attic is well insulated and there's a long freeze, then that's a potential burst waiting to happen.

Had a plastic pipe installed to connect in what was an old tank feed, it's clipped to joists and I lagged it and I've had no issues with it except ...
the first sign of the rodent issue that I've almost dealt with was the chewing on the lagging where the pipe goes down through the ceiling.

Last edited:
FIL's heating pipework is plastic, insulated, then under insulation as well in some places, and clipped down every other joist that it crosses.
Done 5 years ago and never had any problems with it. (Touch wood).

FIL's heating pipework is plastic, insulated, then under insulation as well in some places, and clipped down every other joist that it crosses.
Done 5 years ago and never had any problems with it. (Touch wood).

Dont you mean 'touch plastic?'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back